» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 199 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,643
Posts1,341,458
Members1,820
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,304
PeteP 21,524
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,854
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243727
23/11/2006 02:54
23/11/2006 02:54

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just wanna add something in.

Seems like i have offended a few peeps and wanna set the record straight.

Im not trying to cause offense and im sorry if anything i have said seems that way inclined.

Im not trying to take anything away from Flea (who is a top notch guy, who knows his stuff) Barbz (who i now regard as a friend) and PT (Who obviously know their stuff).

I like to ask questions and question things and im not beyond backing down if im wrong or new info comes to light.

It seems that the Dyno that Powerstation use is a top of the range one and hence it must be pretty accurate.

Ross

Last edited by h2ypr; 23/11/2006 04:17.
Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243728
23/11/2006 02:56
23/11/2006 02:56

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

It seems that the Dyno that PTS use is a top of the range one and hence it must be pretty accurate.

Ross

That made me laugh, like saying that a Maybach is top of the range so it must be pretty good? Or perhaps a better simile would be like saying the Morris Marina 1.8 TC was top of the range so must have been pretty good

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243729
23/11/2006 03:09
23/11/2006 03:09
Castle Combe
Flea Offline OP
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
I think Ross means Powerstation anyway

[Linked Image]

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243730
23/11/2006 04:16
23/11/2006 04:16

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I did mean Powerstation. Abbrev's can get confusing!!!

Ross

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243731
23/11/2006 06:53
23/11/2006 06:53

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Always up for a wind-up, me

To be fair though, looking at figures, there is a question that it should be fair to investigate. I mean how can one RR calculate losses of 6% and another 20% on the same car?

Quote:

Jimbo (modded) – 278bhp & 252lbs/ft
(194bhp @ wheels = 30% losses)

Jap (modded) – 265bhp & 251lbs/ft
(196bhp @ wheels = 26% losses)

James_H (modded) – 288bhp & 254lbs/ft
(207bhp @ wheels = 28% losses)

MC_Mike (modded) – 274bhp & 262lbs/ft
(202bhp @ wheels = 26% losses)

Nigel (modded) – 302bhp & 246lbs/ft
(191bhp @ wheels = 36% losses)

Ok looking at lightly modded coupes above PS are averaging say 28% losses which sounds too much for me.

compare the above with some other lightly modded cars taken off the Hall of Fame:

Yellafella – 265bhp & 270lbs/ft
(227bhp @ wheels = 15% losses) PTS

Solid - 266bhp & 247lbs/ft
(223bhp @ wheels = 16% losses) PTS

Steviemitch - 263bhp & 285lbs/ft
(225bhp @ wheels = 15% losses) Owen Devel

Smeg - 275bhp & 260 lbs/ft
(226bhp @ wheels = 17% losses) SRR

Gurmon - 280bhp & 280 lbs/ft
(250bhp @ wheels = 11% losses) PTS

Akeme - 284bhp & 261 lbs/ft
(233bhp @ wheels = 18% losses) PTS

Nobby - 305bhp & 285 lbs/ft
(232bhp @ wheels = 24% losses) Powerstation

Most other RR's look around 15-18% losses for our FWD cars so why are the losses most people get from Powerstation more like 25-28% Are they under-reading ATW* or over-estimating Fly?

The only thing I can see is if the peak torque figure is much different to peak power then the figures could be questioned?

*It would appear not as the ATW figs for Flea were pretty much the same at both Powerstation & Perfect Touch.

Ho hum, I know this discussion comes up every now and again and its a bit but anyway when's the next RR day down Powerstation

First of all I'd like to congratulate flea, and T.I on his new setup I am impressed with the results 200 lb before 4000 rpm and massive power aswell

but to get back on subject transmission losses are not simply a percentage, rolling roads which calculate fly figures in this way are quite simply giving incorrect fly figures,for a FWD its simply 25 to 50 bhp ( unless your diffs completely knackered) after all your only going from gerarbox to diff to driveshaft and then to the wheels, RWD are slighty more depending on how long and heavy the prop shaft is, and 4WD loose quite a bit around 60-90 bhp as they have both the fwd gearbox a transfer box and the rwd prop shaft loses combined, am I making any sense to you guys?

So your fly figures depend on the losses measured not a percentage calculation, perfect touch use a dastek dyno as I can see from the graphs, (thankyou flea ) I know dastek have a set routine, and they actually measure the losses by costing down and measuring them as accurately as possible from what I have read and seen on numerous turbo forums, so aslong as your wheel bearings and diff are ok and your wheels are aligned correctly the fly figure should be fairly accurate, so basically the more power you have the less percentage your losses will be and the less power you have the more they will be

For those who still don’t understand…..

e.g my old colt gti was dyno'd at 134 bhp but it had 91 bhp atw, so it lost 43 bhp through the transmission which works out around 47 percent losses, so in theory if I strapped a huge turbo to it and gave it 180 atw, and then followed the percentage rule this would give it 264 bhp atf which would obviously be incorrect, were as the true atf figure would be more like 220-230 bhp.

cheers dan.

P.S I have to admit the percentage flywheel calculations go down a treat in the pub , which is basically all they are good for

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243732
23/11/2006 10:57
23/11/2006 10:57

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

enjoy the figures for what they are.

how a car drives on the road , how she circulates around
a track , is far and away , for me , more satisfying.

cheers.

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243733
23/11/2006 16:36
23/11/2006 16:36
Castle Combe
Flea Offline OP
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
Dan, I get the feeling you haven't really read what has been written above You have somehow assumed that the MAHA dynos do not use coast down... they do In fact if you look at the graph you will see the green line which is calculated on the coast down after each run. So it's not a "percentage" loss as you suggest, I have simply calculated the losses for everyone to see on both dynos So no "pub figures" just a straight power run like all the other Fiat Coupés that have been there

[Linked Image]

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243734
23/11/2006 17:15
23/11/2006 17:15

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

enjoy the figures for what they are.

how a car drives on the road , how she circulates around
a track , is far and away , for me , more satisfying.

cheers.

True. But once you get above the basic tuning mods and start evaluating further more expensive options you need to be able to decide whether they are a worthwhile 'investment' or not.

You can only do this by looking at what other people have achieved. How can you do this if different RR's give such varying figures?

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243735
23/11/2006 17:34
23/11/2006 17:34

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just a small point, but probably quite important for you Dan!

47% of 134 bhp is 62.98 bhp.

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243736
23/11/2006 17:52
23/11/2006 17:52

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have always rolling roaded at PTS after any set of modifications,.. mainly to get fuelling remapped etc, but at least it gives me some confidence in saying what the efffect of each modifcation has had.

Joe

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243737
24/11/2006 08:48
24/11/2006 08:48

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

your right flea I didn’t read all the post , but first of all I would like to make the point that wheel horse power figures can be just as inaccurate as fly figures

e.g if you have ever had your car dyno'd and the operators had to hold your car down manually this would cause a inaccurate wheel figure as it would cause the wheels to drag more than they should giving you a lower whp figure, then if the same operators don't bother holding the car down when measuring the losses this would cause a very inaccurate fly figure, but tbh even if the operators did hold the car down when measuring the losses it's very unscientific as there is no way of telling if the same amount of pressure has been applied, so therefore rolling roads which do this are a complete waste of time as they are obviously not equipped for cars with high torque/power and there is no way of telling if your power has increased or decreased from one visit to the next, as the results you get depend on how fat or strong the operator is who holds the car down.

it is also possible to increase the whp figures on some dynos, the ones that use the strap down method in particular, because if they don’t strap the car down hard enough then the dyno gives a artificially high whp figure and again if they strap the car down to hard it will cause the wheels to drag and give a lower figure, so basically when you go to a rr you have to trust the operator is doing his job properly because if they are not your wheel figures and your fly figures will be quite simply inaccurate.

but getting back on to my last post I was just speaking generally, just giving my opinion on rolling roads, but now you have brought it up flea, I think it's impossible to have such massive losses on a fwd car, like I said before your only going from gearbox,viscous ,shaft then hub and direct to the drive shaft then the hub on the other, so in my opinion there is two possible explanations for these massive transmission losses....

My first and more viable theory is that your car was simply strapped down too hard? Or even worse held down? Which lost you 30 whp, then when the coast down measurmnts were taken the extra drag caused massive transmission losses impossible for a fwd car.

my second theory is that since having your car dyno'd at perfect touch dastek you have some how managed to fit the gearbox, transfer box, active center differential, prop shaft and super active yaw control rear differential from your evo VII and by the way your transfer box or rear differential must be on it’s its way out also , that’s the only way you could have possibly lost 120 hp through the transmission, lol

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243738
24/11/2006 14:53
24/11/2006 14:53

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I have always rolling roaded at PTS after any set of modifications,.. mainly to get fuelling remapped etc, but at least it gives me some confidence in saying what the efffect of each modifcation has had.

Joe

seems the most logical and accurate way to me to gauge the changes.

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243739
24/11/2006 16:02
24/11/2006 16:02
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
At Powerstation a couple of years ago, my 355 lost over 100bhp through the transmission, due to two of the blokes sitting on the back of the car to prevent wheelspin

[Linked Image]
Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243740
24/11/2006 20:13
24/11/2006 20:13

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Sorry to go off topic...

Just thought i would pop on to say congrats on your results Flea, you must be chuffed to bits... am i the only one who would love to hear some feedback? How much faster does it feel? whats the midrange like? any races? ....some details please... (I know its off the road at the mo, but asap)

Gotta say, Yet another coupe has come out of Torque Italia thats gone beyond what is 'known' and accepted, but when you keep moving the goalposts sometimes people get upset or confused, and question whether it is even possible.

I've been there mate , my results were said to be innacurate because those running the same turbo (withhout headwork), were some 30/40bhp down... the only reason; because it went beyond expectation. Yet recently another chap with exactly the same setup as me, got exactly 344bhp LOL.

Markus is running a smallish turbo, and has 380bhp and 340 Ftlbs IIRC, which is more the most 28RS's i know of, and has better low down driveability to boot... once again beyond expectations.

Even if your power figure, at fly or wheels, is to hard to swallow, then taking away peak power figures, you still have the best power curve that i have seen for anyone running over 400bhp at the fly on the 2litre, and better then some people running less then 400 lol.. thats the main thing.

Big peak power and a very good area under the graph, the holy grail of tuning

Try to ignore some of the negative replys and get on with enjoying your motor mate. And dont forget the feedback!

Last edited by Sheikhs; 24/11/2006 21:40.
Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243741
24/11/2006 21:33
24/11/2006 21:33

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I think it's impossible to have such massive losses on a fwd car, like I said before your only going from gearbox,viscous ,shaft then hub and direct to the drive shaft then the hub on the other,

totally agree.........

but 480bhp sounds much better than "only" 420bhp......
and that seems to be more important for some guys (even though there is no reasonable explanation for such losses)

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243742
24/11/2006 21:47
24/11/2006 21:47
Glasgow,Near Florence..If only...
paul Offline
My life on the forum
paul  Offline
My life on the forum

Quote:

Sorry to go off topic...

Just thought i would pop on to say congrats on your results Flea, you must be chuffed to bits... am i the only one who would love to hear some feedback? How much faster does it feel? whats the midrange like? any races? ....some details please... (I know its off the road at the mo, but asap)

Gotta say, Yet another coupe has come out of Torque Italia thats gone beyond what is 'known' and accepted, but when you keep moving the goalposts sometimes people get upset or confused, and question whether it is even possible.

I've been there mate , my results were said to be innacurate because those running the same turbo (withhout headwork), were some 30/40bhp down... the only reason; because it went beyond expectation. Yet recently another chap with exactly the same setup as me, got exactly 344bhp LOL.

Markus is running a smallish turbo, and has 380bhp and 340 Ftlbs IIRC, which is more the most 28RS's i know of, and has better low down driveability to boot... once again beyond expectations.

Even if your power figure, at fly or wheels, is to hard to swallow, then taking away peak power figures, you still have the best power curve that i have seen for anyone running over 400bhp at the fly on the 2litre, and better then some people running less then 400 lol.. thats the main thing.

Big peak power and a very good area under the graph, the holy grail of tuning

Try to ignore some of the negative replys and get on with enjoying your motor mate. And dont forget the feedback!

my sentiments entirely

was Paul S,now just paul...Member since Oct 2000,Coupe may be FATALLY injured - :(oh no it's not smile
Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243743
24/11/2006 21:56
24/11/2006 21:56

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Amar - interesting our figures turned out to be identical when I got the breating restrictions sorted out. i think you run a bit more torque - maybe you have cams (I dont), or is that just from a shade more mid range boost than me via the apexi? Would be interesting to see if I can squeeze some more from the turbo with an aquamist map and cams - as it is I'd be over 350 with a conservative map and a raised limiter.

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243744
24/11/2006 22:56
24/11/2006 22:56

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hate to be a bastard suba but im hoping to have equal/more power after 2morrows expolits!!

Ross

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243745
24/11/2006 23:03
24/11/2006 23:03
Castle Combe
Flea Offline OP
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
Dan, when you said you haven't read the thread you really meant you haven't read it!! I commented right at the start that wheel power can differ as well as fly power, but you didn't read that To answer your question, no my car has never been held down on the rollers or had a 30 stone woman ride shotgun when doing a power run

It is a little dissapointing that there are a number of negative comments when all I have done is get my car mapped and then tested on the rollers. I can only report what I am given, it's not like I have pulled figures out of the air!! It's also frustrating when people question power figures simply because they are ignorant of rolling roads and how they work. I have presented so many facts and figures but these are glossed over without comment. After doing some more reading it would appear MAHA dynos usually read lower wheel power which is why many, especially 4WD owners, are scared to use them. Conversely the Dyno Dynamics, DynoJets etc. are a little more basic and as a result can provide only wheel power with fly power calculated via an arbitrary % loss across the board regardless or gear, load, rpm etc. I would suggest that anyone who doesn't understand MAHA dynamometers should read up on them just so you are better informed when commenting You should also note that MAHA are approved by a lot of big car manufacturers and used by Revo and AMD for their chip tuning.

Anyway, I’ll not waste any more time on it as I feel I am on a soapbox for MAHA dynos If you don't like my particular results then fair enough. Whether my figures are inline with how MAHA dynos work the world over, whether they are inline with other Fiat Coupés as shown earlier I'd like to think the info I have given suggests they are but hey ho. Last thing, interested to know what you think about only 6% losses at the wheels for the Dastek dyno, too low or ok? Also I notice you and Jamie don't quote wheel power for Geoff Bloor, do they not provide this?

Last edited by Flea; 25/11/2006 01:10.
Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243746
24/11/2006 23:27
24/11/2006 23:27

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Doh - forgot you were on a 28R as well! That's three of us that are near 350 on that turbo with headwork! Fingers crossed you can get over 350... maybe I should go for a cold run sometime now that it's almost winter!

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243747
25/11/2006 01:03
25/11/2006 01:03

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

flea my comments are not negative I am not putting your setup down, I think its amazing minimal lag and 420 bhp I am well impressed with the work barbz and turbo dynamics have done, I am not trying to offend anyone either, I am quite simply stating a fact, which I will repeat, it is impossible to have such huge losses on a fwd car end off, I don’t need to understand the workings of the mhaha dyno to make that statement , as I have common sense and understand the workings of a fwd car, the coop in particular as I’ve changed gearbox's clutches and output shafts in the past, so something somewhere has gone wrong, or been done wrong no matter if the mhaha dyno has been approved by her majesty the queen herself .

at the end of the day it doesn’t matter what your figures are, the only way to see what your car is made of is by taking it down the pod this will paint a true picture of the power and performance but if you like many are a bit pod shy, another test of real power which allot of people prefer would be a timed 30 - 130 as it takes launching (were allot of people struggle) out of the equation so if you were to do this test it would give a true reflection of your power and you would also be able to tell when improvements have been made and it’s comparable as well when a few have done the same test, another good way would be to get side by side with say Nigel’s coop for instance and do a 3-2-1 go comparison, you would then see if your figures are correct as you should accelerate away at a rapid rate with 100 bhp extra, or even a side by side with mavric as he should only be able to creep away from you, unless of course he can’t find any race fuel, then you should have the edge as your powerband is larger and your car is more powerful if the mahaha results are to be believed.

Cheers Dan.

p.s you only need a stopwatch and your own bit of private road to do the 30 - 130 test why not try it next time your out and about.

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243748
25/11/2006 01:22
25/11/2006 01:22
Castle Combe
Flea Offline OP
Forum is my life
Flea  Offline OP
Forum is my life

Castle Combe
I was justing adding some extra comments to my earlier post and you have already posted

I am certainly not shy of the pod!!! I had plenty of runs last year and managed a couple of 13.2s and 13.3s but I have to admit it's not my forte and I can't say I care much for it either i.e. a little frustrating when you queue for ages and then fluff the start plus it's a little boring and not really using the whole car like on a trackday The 30-130 I have done before and I will try again no doubt and maybe come along to the MLR day this year if it's open (given I have an evo but I won't run that as it's too slow )

Anyway, interested too know what you think about the Dastek dyno? If MAHA dynos offer too great transmission losses what about Dastek, too low @ 6%?

[Linked Image]

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243749
25/11/2006 04:21
25/11/2006 04:21

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

yeah I know what you mean about the pod, I really hate the queuing aswell but I have say I love driving down the strip, I love the adrenalin rush I get when on the line looking a cross at the other car, not knowing what to expect or what sort of hp I’m up against there been so many modded cars down there.

I think allot of the dastek dyno's, on mlr there always rowing over which is best the main contenders are the dyno dynamics who do give accurate wheel figures most the time but they give high fly figures calculated on percentages, DD seem to be the favorites of the tuners/mappers for obvious reasons, and dastek who also give accurate wheel figures but measure the transmission losses are the underdog, the main argument from the side of DD was that it's impossible to measure losses therefore they just add xx percent which they think is more accurate, but in my opinion this gives people inaccurate power figures like over 400 hp on a turbo which is only capable of 380bhp and so on, but a man who works for dastek came on the forum, he defended the dastek dyno's and the methods used, explaining how it all works and justifying the losses measured and challenging anybody that thought otherwise to make there point and he would answer surprise suprise there was no reply from the DD people who were basically saying Dastek were crap.

Heres a snippet from what was said by gerry from dastek and some information and links makes interesting reading.

Quote:

Gerry Gaffney

Hi Guys,

Normally you will find on Bosch, Sun/Maha, Hofmann dyno's the test will be conducted in 4th gear, on Dyno Dynamics & Dastek Dyno's the test will normaly be conducted in 3rd.

There seems to be a huge amount of conjecture & misinformation of the subject of rolling roads, one of the biggest being that the only figure that matters is that of 'Power at the wheels' (PAW) However I strongly disagree. There is greater error on making judgements/assumptions on a PAW only basis.

Allow me to explain, the PAW on a rolling road is NOT the same PAW as transmitted to the road. The reason for this is that the rolling road in itself requires power just to be able to turn over the rollers & retarder (this power comes (or more correctly is robbed) from the power available at the wheels) This power requirement goes up in an exponential fashion with speed. Therefore the greater the roller speed at which a power measurement is made the lower the power at the wheels will be (more below) Other factors that can & DO affect the PAW is the wheel alignment, the tyre pressure, the sidewall height, the amount of strapping effort, the size & finish of the rollers, & the roller seperation (to name but a few)

I will also make another bold statement the power lost through the gearbx due to power input is less than 1/2%, the rest of the losses between flywheel & rollers, is made up of heat & noise created by the tyres, gears splashing through the oil, parasitic drag of bearings & seals (both car & dyno) & the drag caused by boundary layer windage of the rollers & retarder and this is more or less speed dependant (actually follows a 'Stribeck Curve')

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/13612560575.jpg&s=f5

So the whole agurement that power is not being transmitted & the gears are meshing on the wrong side, at worst will only make the measurement 1/2% wrong, much less than if the g/box oil temp changes by 10C or the wheel alignment is out.

I have huge amounts of real-life data on chassis dynamometers from when I first got involved in them when I was part of a team designing one for our own purposes (I was an engine builder for Toyota on WRC & SuperTouring engines) So it's not just useless drivel from the internet & salesmans blurb )

Conrad that's quite a bold statement 'some Dynos calculate transmission lossess using the coastdown method, more accurate dynos like Dyno Dynamics dont use this method' if you are genuinely interested in getting results that are truly meaningful, you need to go & try a few things (I've already tried them on the DD machine to see if any of the fabulous stories that Mr. G. spouts were even remotely true ) First mount a thermocouple in the g/box, then warm the vehicle up, do a couple of runs to get a base figure. Next drive the car hard on the dyno (like you were live mapping) & get the g/box oil temp up by around 25C. Now do another few runs, what do you get? Secondly try doing the runs in different gears? Finaly tighten your ratchet straps 2 - 3 clicks (assuming you are using the over arm ratchet pull down arrangement) then let me know if you still stand by your statement that PAW + your 'derived loss' is the only reliable number. As for no slip on the DD machine, EVERY roller dyno has slip of a certain %, some of course less then others , if you want to test this, set your dyno to 30mph, select 1st gear, at 1/4 throttle set the rpm:mph ratio (take a true independant rpm) then with the dyno controlling to 30mph (which will be xxxx rpm) start to gradually open the throttle, watch how the mph & rpm on the dyno remain constant, but your independant rpm will increase. Slip is ALWAYS present on a roller dyno, as it is ALWAYS present on the road also! Some dyno's handle it slightly better due to larger rollers, & closer roller seperation, as well as using an idler roller shaft encoder (speed pick up) to work out the slip

I have included a few screengrabs from our own dyno, to show the usefullness of the coastdown test (when used correctly) and how limiting it can be to ONLY look at the wheel power.

1) A power test conducted in 3rd to 5th gear on our own Civic Type-R

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/13611493774.jpg&s=f5

2) Zoomed in on the PAW & flywheel power

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/13611512841.jpg&s=f5

3) Zoomed in on the transmission losses on test 1 above

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/13612125068.jpg&s=f5

4) A test showing the difference g/box (& diff) oil temp makes

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/13612141620.jpg&s=f5

5) A test showing the huge affect a wrongly fitted wheel bearing can make

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/13612213418.jpg&s=f5

No Doubt this will open up a huge can of worms, but for people who are genuinely interested in credible information, they need to look much further than the marketing

Cheers,

Gerry
http://www.dastek.co.uk

#

regarding your losses flea, trusting dastek i would say there accurate although 25 bhp is the lower end of what you would expect to lose on a fwd , if anything its good news it most probably means your diff, gearbox and wheel bearings are in very good condition and your wheels are also aligned correctly, it doesn’t have nothing to do with percentages tbh if you go motec and run higher boost and get 480 - 500 hp your losses could then be as low as 5 percent and still correct, like I mentioned earlier on in the thread the more power you have the less of a percentage you losses will be.

Cheers Dan.

P.S i do hope you take your fiat down to the mlr 30-130 it will muller allot of the evo's down there which will make great entertainment lol i can just see the looks on there faces now.

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243750
25/11/2006 05:37
25/11/2006 05:37

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have heard advice to the same effect as Dan.

The company i ran my RR'ds with recently have said that its a kinda standard figure to add onto wheel power. They said my flywheel figure is around 20-30bhp higher. So 284 at the wheels is around 304-314bhp according to them. However with standard transmission losses (17%) its working out around 330bhp. Just depends on what you wanna do.

As for MAHA dynos, i have looked into them. They are supposed to be the most accurate. 358bhp at the wheels is AMAZIN!!! 392 is better tho!!

Ross

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243751
25/11/2006 14:56
25/11/2006 14:56

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Doh - forgot you were on a 28R as well! That's three of us that are near 350 on that turbo with headwork! Fingers crossed you can get over 350... maybe I should go for a cold run sometime now that it's almost winter!

Well you never know. You tested your car when your engine was still quite tight aswell dude so you never know. Mines was tested after 1900 miles. It will actually free up more as the miles get clocked up so maybe worth your while. Mine and your setup is nearly identical.

Ross

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243752
27/11/2006 06:59
27/11/2006 06:59
paul Offline
My life on the forum
paul  Offline
My life on the forum

Leighton you inbox is full

was Paul S,now just paul...Member since Oct 2000,Coupe may be FATALLY injured - :(oh no it's not smile
Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243753
08/12/2006 13:49
08/12/2006 13:49
Nottingham
C
Cyclone Offline
Enjoying the ride
Cyclone  Offline
Enjoying the ride
C

Nottingham
420bhp, 480bhp..............

You should be running sub 12s at the Pod next time you go, same as you should have been running mid 12s at TOTB.........we'll see.......

Jules
Gone fishing....

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243754
08/12/2006 16:04
08/12/2006 16:04
Markus Offline
On a journey
Markus  Offline
On a journey

Quote:

You should be running sub 12s at the Pod next time you go, same as you should have been running mid 12s at TOTB.........we'll see.......

Jules
Gone fishing....

im not sure it works like that...mostly down to tyre choice and how much u want to break ur gearbox

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243755
08/12/2006 19:14
08/12/2006 19:14
Nottingham
C
Cyclone Offline
Enjoying the ride
Cyclone  Offline
Enjoying the ride
C

Nottingham
Quote:

Quote:

Jules
Gone fishing....

im not sure it works like that...mostly down to tyre choice and how much u want to break ur gearbox

I disagree, I've been to the strip plenty of times now with the Cerb in all states of tune and set-up, and if the car has the power then it will show it on the slip. It may not post a super quick time, but you will be able to see how fast the car is at various points such as 1/8th sectional and speed to distinguish how powerful it is.

I've ran against a Cerb that was running 60bhp more than me but I was quicker over the 1/4 mile, but he was struggling more with traction at the start and in 2nd gear, thereafter he was gaining on me significantly enough for it to show on the time slip, thus justifying that his car is more powerful and in theory faster, on the road this was proved further by us doing side by side 3rd gear tests where he would start to pull a gap.

Jules.

Still fishing......

Re: Rolling Roads... have your say! #243756
08/12/2006 23:29
08/12/2006 23:29

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

on the road this was proved further by us doing side by side 3rd gear tests where he would start to pull a gap.

As you've said a side by side road test with another powerful coupe will show the difference aswell.... anyways, fleas strong point aint launches anyways!

Ross

Page 2 of 2 1 2