» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (PaulL), 159 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,612
Posts1,341,250
Members1,804
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,564
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,301
PeteP 21,520
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,817
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Looking for a Coupe #1667481
14/09/2023 23:03
14/09/2023 23:03
Norfolk UK
A
Andy Offline OP
Andy  Offline OP
A

Norfolk UK
Hi, I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself.

I am looking to buy a Coupe but looking to rescue something as a project rather than buying something fully sorted.

I know there are a couple of cars in the for sale section but I am looking for something much cheaper and much more in need of some TLC. Obviously on these cars rust is an issue and I am prepared to take on a little light welding/restoration work and paint work but don't want to be chasing rot around something that is only fit for the scrap yard.

I recently went to look at one car presented as having no rust, but the rear jacking points had sizable holes in them. The rest of the sills seemed pretty solid and no rust in the boot. I couldn't see the underside very well because of the trim panels but got my hand in to the rear Eifel towers and one of them crumbled in my hands.
How typical is this for these cars now. What little signs can I look out for to pick a good car from a bad one, without having to take all the trim off the bottom and getting it on a ramp.

Hopefully some of you knowledgeable people can give me some advice.

Re: Looking for a Coupe [Re: Andy] #1667482
14/09/2023 23:25
14/09/2023 23:25
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Online content
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Online Content
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum smile

It's unlikely you will find a project that doesn't involve some welding but you have correctly identified the crucial areas. If you seen an example where the boot seals and sills look good and pass your informed inspection I would say you're doing quite well

You can expect rear and front eiffels to have rusted away but these can be sorted as replacements can be found either here in the UK or from abroad, online. Sills (complete) are unavailable now although there have been refabrications in rare cases (my own for example). Floors too will often need attention, but even though they are spot-welded from factory bear in mind an MoT station may prefer any patch to be seam-welded. Other likely points are in the front wheel-arches, rear-side backing onto the front footwells, where the arch-liner fixing has corroded.

If you don't fancy fabricating new jacking points then that might be part of your restoration you would consider farming out.

Good to hear you intend to save another one though thumb

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Looking for a Coupe [Re: Andy] #1667541
17/09/2023 10:41
17/09/2023 10:41
ation
szkom Offline
Club member 2000
szkom  Offline
Club member 2000
Forum is my life

ation
I think cars fall into 2 categories these days; those that have had restoration or have been maintained, but have the price tag. And then there's the ones that haven't. Some might have a MOT, but no guarantee of rust free.

I think you'll do well to find a truly rust free car. Even the newest is 25 years old. But you also have to remember that the cars had potentially costly issues before rust was really a problem. And now there are bits such as fuel injectors that aren't available new.

Keep looking as there's bound to be a suitable car out there. I'd set your budget for the car + a float for repair + a float for running repair. You might find that equals one of the more expensive cars when you add you time, though.

Welcome to the forum!

Re: Looking for a Coupe [Re: Andy] #1667568
18/09/2023 11:33
18/09/2023 11:33
Berlin
barnacle Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
barnacle  Offline
Club Member 18 - ex-Minister without Portfolio
Forum Demigod

Berlin
If I recall correctly (hey, it's been thirty years!) the coupe was Fiat's first car that was 'completely' zinc passivated as a rust control system. Though for some reason, below the waist line that was on both sides but above that only on the outside. Must have saved a dollar or two on the build cost.

Nonetheless: in 1995 no-one would have expected a Fiat to last thirty years without turning into a collander. Many of them have rust, but it tends to be generally in places where mechanical damage exposes the underlying steel though there are a couple of well-known rust spots: inner wings, eiffel towers, under the PininFarina badge forward of the rear wheels. But my Fiat at thirty years old is in a damn site better shape than my Datsun 240Z was at ten years old...

Neil

[Linked Image]
Don't get no respect! Coupe Fiat 1994-2000 - an owner's guide <-- clicky!
Re: Looking for a Coupe [Re: Andy] #1667629
20/09/2023 22:33
20/09/2023 22:33
Norfolk UK
A
Andy Offline OP
Andy  Offline OP
A

Norfolk UK
Thanks for the welcome and the replies.

The one car I have looked at so far was massively over priced at a dealership.

£2500, but had an obviously dodgy MOT given the rust hole I found in a car that was "free of rust" and an airbag light that he had left on because "we don't switch the warning lights off to hide things"

When I arrived the engine was hot. The cambelt was 8 year old but he insisted that it was only done 10,000 miles ago, he wasn't lying but 10,000 miles ago was 2015. The aircon didn't work despite claiming all the buttons worked, I supposed technically the button worked, just what it controlled didn't.
The clutch was clearly near the end of its life.
The whole car had at some point had a full respray but who ever masked it up had issues telling the difference between rubber and metal as much of the rubber window seals, badges and trims had overspray on them.
I could go on talking about the faults but I would be here all day. needless to say I walked away.

I am keeping an eye out for something preferably Rosso Red and preferably a Turbo with Aircon if anyone sees anything. The issue is with them being so spread out over the country now you can invest a lot of time and money just going to look at a car only to find it's a complete shed. I am moving in the next couple of weeks so not actively looking to make a purchase till thats out of the way, but will start the search again as the winter draws in and people maybe start selling their "summer" cars off.

Re: Looking for a Coupe [Re: Andy] #1667630
20/09/2023 22:57
20/09/2023 22:57
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Online content
Edinburgh  Online Content
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Pop your request in Coupes Wanted in the Marketplace section of the forum - some sellers might only look there... smile

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Looking for a Coupe [Re: Andy] #1667631
21/09/2023 07:40
21/09/2023 07:40
norwich, norfolk
adam16vt Offline
Enjoying the ride
adam16vt  Offline
Enjoying the ride

norwich, norfolk
I’m currently working on a local chaps car that I think he’s willing to sell at the right price

It’s a late registered moon grey 20vt 6 speed

It’s a nice car, currently in pieces as I’m fitting a new turbo, it’s a bit of a funny car, it had a retro fitted air con setup that I’ve removed but as the bracket on the engine is for the ac compressor I’m having to fit the factory compressor but it as it left the factory without air con it doesn’t have the associated wiring so don’t think it would ever having working air con again, to get it working is beyond my skill set

I’m based 12 miles outside of Norwich, you are welcome to come and have a look whenever you like, it’s in bits as I’m waiting on the turbo, alternator and a few other parts so it doesn’t run but you’re welcome to come and have a look and a chat

Or if you’re keen you can come when it’s up and running

Adam

Re: Looking for a Coupe [Re: Andy] #1667635
21/09/2023 09:46
21/09/2023 09:46
FCSS 01684 593187
Countrycruising Offline
Club Rep Europe, member 914
Countrycruising  Offline
Club Rep Europe, member 914
Forum veteran

FCSS 01684 593187
Originally Posted by Andy
Hi, I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself.

I am looking to buy a Coupe but looking to rescue something as a project rather than buying something fully sorted.

I know there are a couple of cars in the for sale section but I am looking for something much cheaper and much more in need of some TLC. Obviously on these cars rust is an issue and I am prepared to take on a little light welding/restoration work and paint work but don't want to be chasing rot around something that is only fit for the scrap yard.

I recently went to look at one car presented as having no rust, but the rear jacking points had sizable holes in them. The rest of the sills seemed pretty solid and no rust in the boot. I couldn't see the underside very well because of the trim panels but got my hand in to the rear Eifel towers and one of them crumbled in my hands.
How typical is this for these cars now. What little signs can I look out for to pick a good car from a bad one, without having to take all the trim off the bottom and getting it on a ramp.

Hopefully some of you knowledgeable people can give me some advice.

If you're looking for a project drop me an email as I have quite a few in storage.

f_c_s_s@hotmail.com

Re: Looking for a Coupe [Re: Countrycruising] #1667691
24/09/2023 23:14
24/09/2023 23:14
Norfolk UK
A
Andy Offline OP
Andy  Offline OP
A

Norfolk UK
Originally Posted by Countrycruising

If you're looking for a project drop me an email as I have quite a few in storage.

f_c_s_s@hotmail.com

Email sent thanks !

Re: Looking for a Coupe [Re: adam16vt] #1667692
24/09/2023 23:16
24/09/2023 23:16
Norfolk UK
A
Andy Offline OP
Andy  Offline OP
A

Norfolk UK
Originally Posted by adam16vt

I’m based 12 miles outside of Norwich, you are welcome to come and have a look whenever you like, it’s in bits as I’m waiting on the turbo, alternator and a few other parts so it doesn’t run but you’re welcome to come and have a look and a chat

Or if you’re keen you can come when it’s up and running

Adam

Thanks

Aircon really is a must for me. its a shame as a 6 speed is always a bonus.

Last edited by Edinburgh; 25/09/2023 08:17. Reason: Thread locked as topic now in Coupés Wanted section