» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (386ka, Edinburgh, Rotor, 1 invisible), 242 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,630
Posts1,341,386
Members1,814
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,568
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,304
PeteP 21,522
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,840
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Loft Conversions- How and what -forum builders #1590933
27/12/2016 01:39
27/12/2016 01:39
west bromwich
C
coupedummy Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
coupedummy  Offline OP
Je suis un Coupé
C

west bromwich
Hi,
One for the forum builders.
Its a certain consideration in the future but as we have to do our hall stairs and landing i would like to mak ethe appropriate preperations.
We live in a 3 bed detatched house. A 3rd of the loft has been made into a room as such with floor boards, lighting,gable end window and a radiator.
Only access is via a ladder in our box room.
The idea moving forward is to complete the halway renovation and install loft stairs as needed and seal until we continue onto the loft as required.
Our loft is very tall to be fair, we dont want a dormer as it is big enough for a large bedroom and en-suite with storage.
So summarise we won't exceed 50 cubic metres as specified, I believe the ceiling height is more than 2.2 meters and won't be altering the roof or dimensions of the house.
Could be get this a permitted development rather than planning permission?
Do you have to apply for permitted development?

There is no chimney stack going through so more of an open space,but we do have a wall that supports the roof joists. Which seperates the 1/3rd of the loft from the rest. Unsure how we may proceed with this.
I know building regs plays it's part but thats conformity.

ANy help and advice who have gone through this process is appreciated.

Last edited by coupedummy; 27/12/2016 10:37.

[Linked Image]
Re: Loft Conversions- How and what -forum builders [Re: coupedummy] #1590947
27/12/2016 16:28
27/12/2016 16:28
In the coupe.
magooagain Offline
Club Member 259
magooagain  Offline
Club Member 259
Forum is my life

In the coupe.
I can't help you with the permission or regs side of it.

But all the practical and method I can help.

Biggest thing I imagine will be the fire regulations and what you will need to install to meet the regs.

A pal built one this year in Surrey on his own place and has had to install a sprinkler system would you believe. That's on a two bed semi.

It's all about means of escape as far as I understand.

Will you be wanting to use Velux Windows?

You will have to meet insulation requirements also,so that may mean making the existing rafters deeper or you may be required to slide deeper one's alongside the existing one's.

Same with the floor joist's are they up to the job?

With the supporting wall,again a steel or could you use it as part of the en-suite bathroom wall?

As soon as you get planning or building regs departments involved then the cost can spiral due to you having to adhere to thier wishes.

Having said all that,loft conversion's are well worth doing. Particularly on a detached house in my opinion.
And as you know mate you will need all the sign off cert's for any future sale/move.

Just shout if You need owt else help.

Re: Loft Conversions- How and what -forum builders [Re: magooagain] #1590985
28/12/2016 20:22
28/12/2016 20:22
The South of the West
JonH Offline
Enjoying the ride
JonH  Offline
Enjoying the ride

The South of the West
I think, as you have portrayed the situation, the creation of habital space in your loft will be ok under PD.

I assume the brick wall 1/3rd position cant be significantly knocked through and then lintell'd without making it too low to walk through?. maybe a mansard type structure with 5 assembled steel beams going in could be a solution if its only loading is purlins & joists and tiles/slates ?

The bugbear compliance requirement will be adhering to the building regs, so if your builder can't self certify, then its going to be the Council having to visit.

As the work is now formalising the occupation of an additional floor then you'll need to be potentially factoring into your project management.....

• protected stairwell(s) throughout, or alternative means of egress
  • mains smoke detection & alarm
  • Fire doors (FD30 / FD60 ?) at all entry points to the stairwells(including changing all existing)
  • Windows not invading the privacy of neighbours (or obscured glass)
  • plus the normal electrical / plumbing signoffs
  • If you cant meet insulation values in the loft conversion then you may be able to offset the insulation deficiency by super insulating alternative parts of the existing dwelling structure as a compensatory measure but you'll need to show relevant calculations (depends if your Building Control Officer is pragmatic or a jobsworth !)

No.199