» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
4 registered members (slime500, paulw, Edinburgh, PaulL), 185 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,687
Posts1,341,786
Members1,831
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,588
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,309
PeteP 21,532
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,368
Edinburgh 16,924
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Everybody driving down the middle of the road #1522817
23/01/2015 15:13
23/01/2015 15:13
South Cheshire
L
Lucifer Offline OP
Forum is my job
Lucifer  Offline OP
Forum is my job
L

South Cheshire
This is my new latest driving gripe. At this moment in time it's even annoying me more than people who drive with their fog lights on all the time (especially those people who seem to think that sidelights plus fog lights is a legitimate alternative to just having your main beam headlights on.. but don't get me started...)

Anyway.. why are so many people seemingly incapable of keeping to their own side of the road these days? It's starting to feel like every time I approach a left-hander in particular there's always somebody a good few feet over the centre line coming the other way.

And the less said about the country lanes near me with no road markings down the middle at all the better. Even on a completely straight road I'm seeing more and more people either suddenly swerving over at the last minute as they realise they're about to hit an oncoming car, or worse they seem to be expecting me, who is already clipping the kerb and/or hedge on the passenger side, to somehow find another couple of feet to move even further over.. Surely common sense tells these people they are closer to the hedge on the drivers side than they are on the passenger side?!

Seriously, is this a new phenomenon or am I just either a) getting less patient as I get older or b) starting to notice it more just lately? Or is it just that the standard of driving around North Staffordshire/South Cheshire is considerably worse than everywhere else in the country?

ARGGHHHHH! (and breathe...)

Last edited by Lucifer; 23/01/2015 15:13.

2016 Jaguar F-Type R AWD; 2017 BMW M4 Competition Package; 2015 Range Rover Evoque 2.2 Tech
Re: Everybody driving down the middle of the road [Re: Lucifer] #1522998
24/01/2015 03:00
24/01/2015 03:00
North Wales
Theresa Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Theresa  Offline
Former Presidentessa Club member 58
Forum Fossil

North Wales
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. The car was that far over on my side, he hit my wing mirror grr I couldn't have got any closer to the hedge on my side, yet the knobhead still managed to hit me grr
We were both doing around 50/60mph, so there was hell of a bang when the mirrors hit, but luckily, the Coupes mirror withstood the impact cool

When driving home at midnight, I use a dark country lane and I do drive in the middle of it, just in case there happens to be a pedestrian on the side, but I do slow down and move over when I see another car approaching.
I also turn my main beam off, which is often something the other driver fails to do grr

Lack of indicator use annoys me the most, both as a driver and pedestrian.
Everyone moans about the lack of indicator use, but nobody uses them grr
For those that do use indicators, what is it with indicating left at roundabouts when you intend to go straight on ffs. Don't f**king indicate when going straight across!

While I'm here ranting, my neighbours and their visitors! They park over or partially over my dropped kerb all the time.
I feel like leaving the car running in the middle of the road, knocking their door and telling them to try parking my car on my drive and seeing if they can do it without hitting theirs grr I've always stated how much I hate most of my neighbours, but my hatred is getting worse grr

Maybe it's just me getting older and less tolerant, but it's like nobody gives a shit about anyone else these days and the days of any consideration has gone, whether that's in a vehicle or just in life itself.

Re: Everybody driving down the middle of the road [Re: Lucifer] #1523007
24/01/2015 09:52
24/01/2015 09:52

N
nissansteve
Unregistered
nissansteve
Unregistered
N

I was driving to Millom in cumbria, the roads are very narrow that way on to the point of needing traffic lights at some parts.
But like you say people insist on encroaching the centre lines.
I was managing really well to keep to my half of the road. Unfortunately for the lazy few who had to shift back over to their side pretty rapid as my truck is over 8ft wide.

Re: Everybody driving down the middle of the road [Re: Lucifer] #1523036
24/01/2015 13:05
24/01/2015 13:05

E
Enforcer
Unregistered
Enforcer
Unregistered
E

We get the middle-of-the road stuff over here, too, in the very estate I live on. Don't they know who I am!?

My impression is that many drivers around here are simply unable to gauge the width of their vehicle, so err on the 'safe' side by keeping to the middle. In country lanes, that is compounded by the desire not to scratch their paintwork.

It's a source of constant incredulity that these people managed to pass their driving tests.

Theresa - I do hope your pet spider survived the knock!!

Re: Everybody driving down the middle of the road [Re: Lucifer] #1523136
25/01/2015 03:05
25/01/2015 03:05
Dark side of the Moon
H_R Offline
My life on the forum
H_R  Offline
My life on the forum

Dark side of the Moon
Yes i see so many bad habits as a frquent road user of dark country lanes duel's and city centres

I drive a company van so am not scared to stick to the very left side of the roadcool i was unfortunate enough to be driving along just grazing the hedge the other week that had cunningly disguised a tree branch as a hedge so passenger side mirror casing is now missing blush but the amount of crumbling road edges and potholes at the edge of the roads is getting worst so that could be it! but i honestly think we just see more crap drivers on the roads now compared to 10 odd years ago plus christ knows how many are pissed up

The other thing that annoys me is indicators the old joke that they are an optional extra certainly seems to ring true more and more now! and im with you on the roundabout thing Theresa, which brings me on to another rant

Im now getting really annoyed about roundabouts! a roundabout with two perfectly sized junctions, "i know lets make it into 3 lanes just at the last 4-5 metres, without making it any wider or change the markings or signage" they all seem to be like this in Corby nobody knows where to go anymore! and then they paint lines all the way around roundabouts that seem to be more of a suggestion than anything else "here's a suggestion sir, you could use this lane that will force you to collide with the car next to you, if you both foolishly choose to follow the lines! whoops!"
Anyway that my moan of the day!

Re: Everybody driving down the middle of the road [Re: H_R] #1523194
25/01/2015 16:05
25/01/2015 16:05
Aldershot
PeteP Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
PeteP  Offline
Hon Club Member 005, Membership Secretary
Forum Fossil

Aldershot
Originally Posted By: H_R

Im now getting really annoyed about roundabouts! a roundabout with two perfectly sized junctions, "i know lets make it into 3 lanes just at the last 4-5 metres, without making it any wider or change the markings or signage" they all seem to be like this in Corby nobody knows where to go anymore! and then they paint lines all the way around roundabouts that seem to be more of a suggestion than anything else "here's a suggestion sir, you could use this lane that will force you to collide with the car next to you, if you both foolishly choose to follow the lines! whoops!"
Anyway that my moan of the day!

Round here Hampshire county council has bought much too much white road marking paint: They are painting out slip lanes and lanes entering roundabouts just to use it up.

They have even painted out nearly a mile of lane 2 of a dual carriageway section of the A30 going west from Blackwater as well as half a mile of the A287 near Odiham.

They are currently spending 46 weeks (!) putting an extra lane and traffic lights on the A325 Queens Roundabout in Farnbourough. Bet they paint it out in 2016.

16VT and X1/9 1500

We must all do our part for the planet.
I unplugged a row of electric cars that nobody was using.