» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Edinburgh, MCMike), 137 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,587
Posts1,340,977
Members1,799
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,550
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,299
PeteP 21,510
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,765
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Alfanet: Duncan Slade Recommendation #536706
06/02/2008 04:55
06/02/2008 04:55

D
Darren156
Unregistered
Darren156
Unregistered
D

Guys,

Had a few issues with my Fiat Coupe 20VT so after a member of Alfa Owner recommended Duncan I thought I might as well give him a call and arrange a time to see him. He is based in Fishponds, Bristol which was only a few miles away from myself anyway.

On the phone he sounded very clued up and seemed to know an awful lot about both Alfa and Fiat (Especially Coupe's!), better than that though he was a really nice guy and managed to get me booked in for a few days later.

So anyway, today was that day, and as I stated there were a few issues with my Coop. One of them being slight play in the steering wheel, and the other being screeching brakes, another few points I wanted him to take a look at were defects picked up by the guys who serviced it at QAS: AA Nationwide Auto Center. (Bunch of Cowboys but that's another story, lol)

The defects picked up on by them were an oil leak coming from the rocker cover, and some corroded brake pipes. Serious stuff by the sounds of it, maybe so if they weren't talking out their behinds.

The oil leak is absolutely non-fatal and is a regular occurance on these when they are overfilled apparently, which is what has been done in the past by a previous owner. Just to verify this Duncan checked the oil and it was fine, all topped up correctly and spot on. He also checked the gearbox oil to make sure that was alright, which it was.

He then got the car up on the ramp to check out these 'DANGEROUS BRAKE PIPES' that had me worrying. After close inspection, he did notice some slight cracking in one of the hoses, but it was only outer casing cracking and the hose itself was alright and nothing to worry about.

He then took a look at the rear brake pipe which was apparently badly corroded and in need of changing ASAP according to QAS. He used a file to scrape what was only surface rust away and left behind a nice looking un-corroded pipe, So, brake pipe/hose wise we are all good!

Whilst it was up on the ramp he checked the wheels and suspension out to see if this would explain the reason behind the play in the steering wheel, along with checking the steering wheel out and top strut mounts he managed to deduce that it requires a new steering rack if it bugs me that much. To be honest, the play is extremely minimal and I have now gotten so used to it I'd probably not like the feeling if I did get it changed, lol

Duncan also removed the rear bump stops that were loose within the suspension coils for me, as all they were doing was getting in the way.

He then checked out all the brakes for me and said that apart from requiring new rear discs sometime in the near future they were all spot on. He rubbed some metallic based paste into the front discs (Which he believed were the cause of my screeching), apparently on the way home this should have rubbed a layer off of the brake pads and cleaned them all up. I had no screeching on the way home and hopefully this will continue forever, as it was a bloody nightmare, lol

He also checked out the exhaust that Long Life had done for me yesterday and said they'd done a decent job. Which I'm happy about! \:D

Apparently I've done well and picked a good 'un with this Coop, which I'm ECSTATIC about! \:D There are dudds out there though, quite alot apparently!

Absolute top bloke and I'll be visiting him from now on if I require any work to be done on my car. It's good the way he actually explains and shows things to you unlike most other mechanics out there.

He was just finishing off a service on a brand new Alfa GT when I got there and it looked absolutely gorgeous! It was a JTD though so I was slightly disappointed, lol

He must have had around 10 Fiats there and 15 or so Alfa's.

So yeah, if you need any work doing to your Coupe then I highly recommend him.

Cheers,
Darren

Alfa-Net, Duncan Slade, 07968 488 942, Fishponds Bristol.

Re: Alfanet: Duncan Slade Recommendation [Re: ] #536733
06/02/2008 05:27
06/02/2008 05:27

T
TbirdX
Unregistered
TbirdX
Unregistered
T

Brake squeal is a well known thing on the coupe but I've never heard of this paste stuff before. Very strange, but if it works, there'll be a group buy coming real soon I'm sure.

I would be surprised if it lasted for long though, I guess we'll find out huh. \:\)

Re: Alfanet: Duncan Slade Recommendation [Re: ] #537116
06/02/2008 23:26
06/02/2008 23:26

A
Akeme
Unregistered
Akeme
Unregistered
A

Buy some EBC Yellowstuff pads, they will sort the squealing out.

Re: Alfanet: Duncan Slade Recommendation [Re: ] #537345
07/02/2008 03:56
07/02/2008 03:56

D
Darren156
Unregistered
Darren156
Unregistered
D

TBird, the paste worked for about 30 miles and then wore off sadly, lol

Akeme, where's the best place to get them do you reckon? And why is it the stock pads are causing insane screeching?

Re: Alfanet: Duncan Slade Recommendation [Re: ] #537490
07/02/2008 15:02
07/02/2008 15:02

M
Mark0904
Unregistered
Mark0904
Unregistered
M

Duncan is a nice chap, knows his stuff. I use him for servicing the coop and will be going back again this year.

Just wish he was a bit easier to find!