» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (F1GHT3R, ep1, 1 invisible), 325 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,543
Posts1,340,442
Members1,785
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,522
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,296
PeteP 21,482
bockers 21,070
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,366
Edinburgh 16,662
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Motronic v Aftermarket ECU #509580
29/12/2007 01:19
29/12/2007 01:19

S
sumplug
Unregistered
sumplug
Unregistered
S

Nigel has asked me to open a new thread.
Most on here with proper modified cars [above say 320bhp], have still the Motronic ECU but with a mapped alternative chip.
Now my reasoning is, with an after market ECU, the mapping for ignition, fuel, boost is all controlled by the ECU. So no Smart Turbo boost valves[PRV, EBC ].
Boost pressure is regulated by the turbo wastegate which is opened at a boost pressure set by the actuator. To increase boost pressure at which the the wastegate is opened, the actuator needs to see a lower pressure than actually exists in the inlet manifold. The aftermarket ECU can control a solenoid or air injector to do this. The solenoid or air injector can be turned off / on to give low (actuator level) and high (ECU controlled) boost.
Best of all, it can be swapped between cars with stored maps to work on any car [RR mapped for each individual car]
At no time will the requirements breech the parameters of the after market ECU, and it logs all faults present.
Best of all, it will switch to a safe map if it detects a problem like lean mixture etc. You are not relying on a valve[s] to save your engine.
The Omex The 710 series ECU can store 15 of its parameters (inputs, outputs, and all the calculations in between) at user selectable rates on the inbuilt 1/2MB memory chip. Unlimited recording of the parameters can be made whilst connected live to a PC. The results of this logging can be viewed using the analysis tool DATA2000.
And last, Traction control.
A single road speed sensor (typically the sensor for an electronic speedo) can be input to the ECU to allow traction control. The traction control can be used on 2 or 4 wheel drive vehicles as it does not rely on wheel speed differences. After initial PC based setup, an optional dashboard mounted adjuster dial can allow the traction control levels to be adjusted in car whilst driving.
Comments very welcome.

Andy. \:\)

Last edited by sumplug; 29/12/2007 01:36.
Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509581
29/12/2007 01:25
29/12/2007 01:25
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline
Ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline
Ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Sandhurst
So what is the point of going to an aftermarket when there is someone out there who can live map the motorinic ECU? The Motronic will still do the same functions as an aftermarket one and will have no issues in doing so.

The only reason to go aftermarket would be ALS, LC, TC while the motronic can not do this.

Take the 16vt as another example. Has the same ecu as the cossie cars and those cossies run 400bhp+ on a std weber ecu, with additional boards to be added for wasted spark, ALS and LC, so again, no need really for an aftermarket ecu, but in my case, i decidied to change the ecu as the standard weber will not have enough rev breakpoints to do up to 8000rpm (16 breakpoints on the weber)

Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: Begbie] #509586
29/12/2007 01:39
29/12/2007 01:39

S
sumplug
Unregistered
sumplug
Unregistered
S

Sorry Alexis, had not finished writing it up. thanks for your input.

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509588
29/12/2007 01:43
29/12/2007 01:43

H
h2ypr
Unregistered
h2ypr
Unregistered
H

I think your missing the point a tad andy.

There is no doubt that the aftermarket has more features than the stnd ecu. However, whether or not its worth it to install the aftermarket ecu to achieve very similar results on fairly modded coupes, is the problem.

Ross

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509590
29/12/2007 01:59
29/12/2007 01:59

M
mitch
Unregistered
mitch
Unregistered
M

Do you happern to sell this system Andy?

I really dont see the point in this thread

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509595
29/12/2007 02:27
29/12/2007 02:27
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
 Quote:
Now my reasoning is, with an after market ECU, the mapping for ignition, fuel, boost is all controlled by the ECU

Oh hell - here we go again.....

You make it sound like those are features unique to the aftermarket ECU. Ignition and fuelling are perfectly well controlled by the standard (or mapped) Motronic ECU. Only boost modulation isn't catered for, but can be very easily and very cheaply controlled with a greddy / Apexi / Blitz boost controller

Face it - your assertion that modded Coupes need an aftermarket ECU is simply incorrect. There are less than a handful of Coupes running Motec and from memory, three of them are 2.4s, where the standard MAF just couldn't cope and the standard ECU couldn't cope with a bigger MAF.

[Linked Image]
Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: Nigel] #509596
29/12/2007 02:30
29/12/2007 02:30
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
from Sumplug's post

Quote:
A single road speed sensor (typically the sensor for an electronic speedo) can be input to the ECU to allow traction control. The traction control can be used on 2 or 4 wheel drive vehicles as it does not rely on wheel speed differences. After initial PC based setup, an optional dashboard mounted adjuster dial can allow the traction control levels to be adjusted in car whilst driving.

from Omex's website

Quote:

Seems that your argument is based on what you read, not what you know

[Linked Image]
Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: Nigel] #509597
29/12/2007 02:33
29/12/2007 02:33

H
h2ypr
Unregistered
h2ypr
Unregistered
H

Originally Posted By: Nigel
from Sumplug's post

Quote:

from Omex's website

Quote:

Lol... u actually had to check it was copy/paste?

Ross

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: Nigel] #509598
29/12/2007 02:35
29/12/2007 02:35
Sandhurst
Begbie Offline
Ex El Presidente
Begbie  Offline
Ex El Presidente
I AM a Coop

Sandhurst
 Quote:
You make it sound like those are features unique to the aftermarket ECU. Ignition and fuelling are perfectly well controlled by the standard (or mapped) Motronic ECU. Only boost modulation isn't catered for, but can be very easily and very cheaply controlled with a greddy / Apexi / Blitz boost controller

Actually, boost control is in the normal ecu as well, but not sure if it is down to lazyiness as to why this isn't adjusted so the EBV can be used instead and keep all the safety issues the std ecu will do when it detects a problem

Originally Posted by Jonny - After being taken out at Spa
Your car is Usain Bolt with wellies
Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: Nigel] #509634
29/12/2007 05:47
29/12/2007 05:47

S
sumplug
Unregistered
sumplug
Unregistered
S

from Sumplug's post

Quote:

from Omex's website

Quote:

Why not quote what Omex say? It explains what their system does surely?
Then your argument goes to Omex perhaps?
Why do you need extra controllers? Its all built in!!
The boost on the Omex is related to the map, det control, rpm control, temperature limits etc. A stand alone boost controller knows nothing of the other parameters, so why sell the real ECU short?

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509637
29/12/2007 06:06
29/12/2007 06:06

S
sumplug
Unregistered
sumplug
Unregistered
S

My argument stems down to this.
Can you afford to spend several thousand pounds on a rebuild/upgrade and rely on the OE ECU to cope with the parameter increases? I would rather be safe then sorry thank you very much. Its like having a set of rods that come with the knowledge they are ok for the job but not guaranteed to be reliable. A risk i would want to avoid.
The OE ECU cannot control the boost fully and relies on a valve to save the engine. Err.... Don't think so with 320+ bhp mods!! Perhaps its a personal thing, but i put reliability and durability first.

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509648
29/12/2007 08:22
29/12/2007 08:22

P
puntoturbo
Unregistered
puntoturbo
Unregistered
P

Originally Posted By: sumplug
from Sumplug's post

Quote:

from Omex's website

Quote:

The boost on the Omex is related to the map, det control, rpm control, temperature limits etc. A stand alone boost controller knows nothing of the other parameters, so why sell the real ECU short?

Isn't Richard Beaty associated with wolf racing, builder of a punto gt engine that did not contain what was listed inside it, Amongst other rip off's / cock up's ? ;\)

http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=20839&highlight=beaty

http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=37237&highlight=beaty

http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=44823&page=2&highlight=beaty

http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=44823&page=3&highlight=beaty

Last edited by puntoturbo; 29/12/2007 08:25.
Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509651
29/12/2007 12:49
29/12/2007 12:49

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

My argument stems down to this.
Can you afford to spend several thousand pounds on a rebuild/upgrade and rely on the OE ECU to cope with the parameter increases?

Forgive me if this is a stupid thing to say, but surely a 220hp standard fiat coupe engine is going to use nearly all the same outputs such as knock/air/temps/revs/etc as the fundamentally the same engine components as a tuned one which are a bt bigger - eg a larger turbo to make it more powerful? Obviously as you get into much larger machinery such as the 2.4, they have other requirements such as the need for a larger MAF so they are the ones using the different ECUs?

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509658
29/12/2007 13:43
29/12/2007 13:43

R
Redd
Unregistered
Redd
Unregistered
R

Perhaps its a personal thing, but i put reliability and durability first.

and for that reason alone u shd stick with the bosch motronic ECU as far as possible.

the bosch unit is very complex and does a lot of things a race ECU like a motec may not do. the motronic has to handle idle under varying conditions - ambient temp, loads, etc etc - in and of itself a very complex task. most aftermarket ECU replacements really screw up here. sure u cld set idle at 2000rpms but u'd overheat the engine in no time in a traffic jam.

the motronic also needs to interface with the CODE security, ABS, a plethora of sensors - lambda, knock, water temp, ambient temp, MAF, etc etc - and all the while allowing u to run different levels of fuel octane, in different ambient temps. not easy.

race ECUs are great for what they were designed to do - work in race cars to accomodate different levels of tune. race cars arent designed to work well in traffic jams or deal with different types of fuel in different countries and run in different ambient temps. if ur gonna turn ur coop into a race car, then by all means go motec. otherwise, stick with the motronic.

true story - a friend here with a fat wallet was building a 500hp 4WD coop. its still a work in progress. one of the tuners had fried his original ECU so he decided to try a motec. it gave him no end of troubles. idle was very high, and the car would cut out whenever it got too hot. he had to wait 10 mins for the car to cool before he could re-start it. and it happened whenever he got in a jam. he has since decided to move back to the bosch motronic and try other means to control additional injectors, etc.

another friend with an Alfa GT decided to turbocharge his car. the GT's EURO3/EURO4 electronics are even more complex - the engine ECU is linked to the body computer and things stop working when one thinks the other isn't there. he put in a motec and got no end of troubles. he could only get either the rev meter OR the fuel gauge to work. he had to pick one. in the end he got an external fuel gauge. due the complex bosch system, he had to leave a dead MAF wired in the engine bay [even tho he had already converted to a MAP sensor] or the car would not start. there's a whole list of other issues but i forget. he is currently considering going back to stock.

the worse thing is, in both cases, if any sort of issue/problem arose, they couldn't simply plug in the examiner and find out what was wrong. as the bosch motronic had been replaced, any problems required lengthy manual troubleshooting to narrow down the cause.

all i can say is good luck if u choose to go down the path of an aftermarket ECU replacement.

redd

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509660
29/12/2007 13:55
29/12/2007 13:55

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

Director, ((erased upon request as done by the involved company for legal reasons, please contact Forum Administrator for details)) - for all your tuning requirements ((erased upon request as done by the involved company for legal reasons, please contact Forum Administrator for details))

Andy, why are not in the 'contact us' section of your site?

Last edited by Kayjey; 02/01/2008 07:41.
Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509676
29/12/2007 15:21
29/12/2007 15:21
Haslemere, Surrey
M
Mark_S Offline
Forum is my job
Mark_S  Offline
Forum is my job
M

Haslemere, Surrey
On the cost front, most people who reach 320bhp, go there in a progressive manner, so they have already invested in a boost controller and thus get no advantage from it being an ECU feature.

997 C4S
Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: Mark_S] #509681
29/12/2007 15:26
29/12/2007 15:26

T
Taz
Unregistered
Taz
Unregistered
T

stick with the Bosch ECU, no offense to the other makers of aftermarket ECU's, but they simply have not got the R&D to make such good off the shelf ECU's. Remember Bosch supply A LOT of OEM manufacturers for a REASON(s)

I will not put one on my 2.4, not needed \:\)

don't fix what is not broke, unless you want to just waste your hard earned dosh, sure you can get antilag etc... ( whatever good that is down the high street ! )

I've seen others play with aftermakret suff & it always causes so much aggro', never a simple swap, then theres the case of finding someone with half a brain who can wire one up correctly ! ( that also goes for the unichips etc, which are a basic bodge ! ).

\:\)

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509687
29/12/2007 15:47
29/12/2007 15:47
Staffordshire
Nigel Offline
Forum veteran
Nigel  Offline
Forum veteran

Staffordshire
 Quote:
The OE ECU cannot control the boost fully and relies on a valve to save the engine

So how does the OMEX do it? er, with a valve, I guess

Are you really trying to tell me that a solenoid valve controlled by the Omex is better than a solenoid valve controlled by a dedicated boost controller?

The argument that having it in a single unit doesn't hold water. Does your TV have a DVD player incorporated into it?

[Linked Image]
Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509689
29/12/2007 15:53
29/12/2007 15:53
Melbourne, Australia
Scuderia Offline
My life on the forum
Scuderia  Offline
My life on the forum

Melbourne, Australia
Aftermarket ECUs are really intended for race cars. They never work as well at running all the functions of the car, even the more expensive ones. Cheap ones, forget it. These days with multiple ecu's, an aftermarket ecu is usually only an addition to the OE ecu. Aftermarket to run fuel, ign, boost etc and the OE to run the rest of the car, idle control, etc etc. If you have the luxury of a live map there is no need. An off the shelf, one size fits all chip is a different story.

Im a fan of aftermarket ecus, for older cars they are great but modern road cars are too complex now.

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509700
29/12/2007 16:10
29/12/2007 16:10

G
Gralecoupe
Unregistered
Gralecoupe
Unregistered
G

As I run both I feel I can probably give a balanced and informed opinion. Essentially it's horses for courses.

<<The OE ECU cannot control the boost fully and relies on a valve to save the engine. Err.... Don't think so with 320+ bhp mods!! Perhaps its a personal thing, but i put reliability and durability first.>>

The OE ECU has proven reliability and durability.

The OE ECU does control the boost, exactly the same way as an aftermarket one does - It has to go via an electronically controlled valve, there is no difference.

<<the worse thing is, in both cases, if any sort of issue/problem arose, they couldn't simply plug in the examiner and find out what was wrong. as the bosch motronic had been replaced, any problems required lengthy manual troubleshooting to narrow down the cause.>>

This is utter rubbish, with any aftermarket ECU you simply plug it into a laptop and using the appropriate supplied software you can fault find and adjust. Does Motronic datalog? I don't think so

Aftermarket (AM) ECUs are only as good as the people who fit them and map them, if a backyard mechanic fits a Motec and gets his mate from down the pub to map it it's not going to give satisfactory results is it? An AM ECU can do EVERYTHING an OE one can do and more.

A lot of it boils down to relative cost, if an average Coupe is worth £4K and fitting and mapping an AM ECU costs £1.5 - £2k then you are looking at 1/2 the value of the car, Coupe owners are not known for splashing the cash and why would they? It's a cheap performance car.

I would go with the track/race car V road car analogy as this is the way I have gone, my road car uses an OE remapped ECU and the track car runs proffesionaly mapped Motec, both have had their advantages and problems.
How many people can I take my OE ECU to be remapped? Not many, in fact I know of only one outfit that does them.

The track car running Motec? Well I can pretty much take my pick and there are some real Pros out there I could go to.

There are courses for Motec users, Forums, back up, upgrades, add ons etc, you won't get any of this with Motronic.

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509714
29/12/2007 16:31
29/12/2007 16:31

S
sumplug
Unregistered
sumplug
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: puntoturbo
from Sumplug's post

Quote:

from Omex's website

Quote:

Isn't Richard Beaty associated with wolf racing, builder of a punto gt engine that did not contain what was listed inside it, Amongst other rip off's / cock up's ? ;\)

http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=20839&highlight=beaty

http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=37237&highlight=beaty

http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=44823&page=2&highlight=beaty

http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=44823&page=3&highlight=beaty

Because you and your friends have all this muddled up, i am not going to comment.
But what i will say is this. Richards cancer was in his hip. This was cured and in remission over 18 months. Over this period, his partner ran the company [UAD] into the ground.
Its funny, but one of the main writers on those posts is his former partner!!
Richard then got a Brain tumour which was partly removed. it is still there and swells and pressurises, needing hospital treatment. This can put him in hospital for a while.
What your cronies said on Puntosport is cruel and unfounded.
Oh yes, the thefts were his tools. If you know anything about commercial insurance, it is impossible to insure tools!! So how was it an inside job?? It was local Asians who were later caught. They had also ripped off other companies which was conveniently left out of that discussion!!

Andy

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: Scuderia] #509729
29/12/2007 16:52
29/12/2007 16:52

G
Gralecoupe
Unregistered
Gralecoupe
Unregistered
G

Originally Posted By: Scuderia
Aftermarket ECUs are really intended for race cars. They never work as well at running all the functions of the car, even the more expensive ones. Cheap ones, forget it. These days with multiple ecu's, an aftermarket ecu is usually only an addition to the OE ecu. Aftermarket to run fuel, ign, boost etc and the OE to run the rest of the car, idle control, etc etc. If you have the luxury of a live map there is no need. An off the shelf, one size fits all chip is a different story.

Im a fan of aftermarket ecus, for older cars they are great but modern road cars are too complex now.

It's a good point, but not all together valid - to say they never work aswell with all the functions of the car isn't true, it's down to the number of functions included in the ECU, guy that fitted it and the one that sets it up. You want to control the ABS and aircon with your Motec? No problem, pay a bit extra and they will add it on.

Modern cars too complex? I would say the Mitsubishi Evo or the Imprezza are suitably complex cars, you can get a Motec which plugs in and runs them out of the box - no messing. Electronically controlled diffs that spoil the fun when you can't control them? No problem, plug in a Motec diff controller, lock the diffs up and drift away till your hearts content.........

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509741
29/12/2007 17:12
29/12/2007 17:12
Melbourne, Australia
Scuderia Offline
My life on the forum
Scuderia  Offline
My life on the forum

Melbourne, Australia
Gralecoupe, It was a generalised comment. I should not have used the word "never".

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509750
29/12/2007 17:26
29/12/2007 17:26

S
suba
Unregistered
suba
Unregistered
S

The Omex OM17 will work, as will a motec, and Pectel SQ6.

The main advantage for me is data logging, but when you look at the price of buying, installing a custom loom and mapping the car you are looking at about 3K. It may be argueably safer - but if I melt something I can get a rebuild for less....

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509754
29/12/2007 17:31
29/12/2007 17:31

S
sediciRich
Unregistered
sediciRich
Unregistered
S

Data logging is essential, I dont have it and I wish I had. I'd love a motec or SQ6, maybe later sometime, and I'll make a better loom to go with it.

Rich

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509756
29/12/2007 17:32
29/12/2007 17:32

S
sumplug
Unregistered
sumplug
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted By: Gralecoupe

It's a good point, but not all together valid - to say they never work aswell with all the functions of the car isn't true, it's down to the number of functions included in the ECU, guy that fitted it and the one that sets it up. You want to control the ABS and aircon with your Motec? No problem, pay a bit extra and they will add it on.

Modern cars too complex? I would say the Mitsubishi Evo or the Imprezza are suitably complex cars, you can get a Motec which plugs in and runs them out of the box - no messing. Electronically controlled diffs that spoil the fun when you can't control them? No problem, plug in a Motec diff controller, lock the diffs up and drift away till your hearts content.........

Good points.
I am worried that with a motronic, you rely on an external boost controller. It is the speed the ECU switches to safe mode that saves your engine. I could not trust a boost controller.
Motronic has not got enough setting points to perfect the ignition and fuelling, so somewhere its compromised.
I keep looking at the RR graphs in the Rolling Road section, and you can see the spikes and troughs on many of them. Ignition and fuelling compromised?

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509765
29/12/2007 17:52
29/12/2007 17:52
Melbourne, Australia
Scuderia Offline
My life on the forum
Scuderia  Offline
My life on the forum

Melbourne, Australia
At the end of the day how many safety feaures do you want or need. I dont have any safety's whatsoever. I dont even have an oil temperature gauge. Im perfectly content to race like that. I know the car pretty well and experence does count for something.

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: Scuderia] #509766
29/12/2007 17:53
29/12/2007 17:53

13ad13oy
Unregistered
13ad13oy
Unregistered

At the end of the day how many safety feaures do you want or need. I dont have any safety's whatsoever. I dont even have an oil temperature gauge. Im perfectly content to race like that. I know the car pretty well and experence does count for something.

Bare Minimum! Water temp gauge, Oil pressure light and Tach, sod anything else \:\)

Last edited by 13ad13oy; 29/12/2007 17:55. Reason: Splleing
Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: Scuderia] #509786
29/12/2007 19:16
29/12/2007 19:16

S
sediciRich
Unregistered
sediciRich
Unregistered
S

Hardly a great philosophy steve, I have a coupe side repeater on a 25psi oil pressure switch, and a shift light, you need those 2 things. In all I have a rev counter, oil pressure and temp (so I can judge if the cooling circuit is ok), water temp (you could lose water system cooling an not know until its too late) and a fuel gauge, plus those 2 lights.

Re: Motronic v Aftermarket ECU [Re: ] #509841
29/12/2007 21:27
29/12/2007 21:27

G
Gralecoupe
Unregistered
Gralecoupe
Unregistered
G

You can never have too much information.

On track I keep an eye on the basics, afterwards I look through the non essentials, it gives me a better idea of what is going on and I can modify the car accordingly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4