If you've installed an amp in your Coupe then you will have also purchased an amp wiring kit. These wiring kits come at varying prices, starting at around £10, for the truly poverty spec ones.

I had purchased a Phoenix Gold kit for £20 and was happy with it. That was until I decided to rewire my sound system and accidentally pulled one of the heads off the phono connectors to reveal that there was not much in the way of signal carrying wire in my phono cable:

click to enlarge

Regardless I now needed a replacement and rather than buying another amp wiring kit for £20 just to get the phono cable, I ordered a Fisual phono cable for a few quid. When it arrived it was clear it was cheap, poorly shielded and the sound quality wasn't up to much. Being a bit of an audiophile I decided to bin it and look into a hifi spec equivalent.

Finding lengthy branded phono cables is tricky and they tend to be relatively expensive, however branded component cables are cheap, and you have a choice of 3 phono cables to replace your 2! I went with a Profigold component cable like this one which is currently listed at £8 delivered on a buy it now. The difference in sound quality really is quite astounding against the Fisual and Phoenix Gold kit cables.

I recommend a hifi spec branded phono or component cable to anyone who's upgraded their sound system and settled for an entry level amp wiring kit!