» Announced
    Posting images

» Related sites
    Main club site
    fiatcoupe.net

» External data
    owners listed

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 196 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums69
Topics113,578
Posts1,340,908
Members1,797
Most Online731
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
barnacle 33,545
stan 32,122
Theresa 23,299
PeteP 21,510
bockers 21,071
JimO 17,917
Nigel 17,367
Edinburgh 16,748
RSS Feeds
Club Events
Club Information
Track Events
Rolling Road/RWYB
Social Events
Non-UK Events
Coupé Related Chat
Coupé Spotting
Coupé News/Press
Buying/Selling Advice
Insuring a Coupé
Basic FAQ's
How to Guides
Forum Issues
Technical Problems
General Maintenance
Styling
Tuning
Handling
ICE and Alarm
Coupés for Sale
Coupés Wanted
Parts for Sale
Parts Wanted
Group Buys
Business Forum
Other Vehicles for Sale/Wanted
Other Items for Sale/Wanted
Haggling/Offers
Ebay links
Other Cars
Other Websites
General Chat
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tim 42's Coupe #1302710
04/01/2012 18:50
04/01/2012 18:50

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

And another restoration project.

This is TIM42's coupe.

Tim 42's moon coupe

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1484343
20/04/2014 08:42
20/04/2014 08:42

G
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
G

I now have this car smile Am enjoying it very much.

over the next 3 month I have a list of projects to under take on her.

Currently the wheels have been taken to a restoration place and should be back in two weeks, like new.

Have fitted new brake disks and pads. New apex filter to replace the K & N that was fitted - was to loud for me, now a nice volume level.

my next project it to replace the air con radiator as it looks to be rotted, while i am in there i will fit pro alloy FMIC. There is loads of corroded metalwork in the front area behind the bumper, so i shall get some metal sheeting and replace as required there. while the bumper is off i intend to fit some mesh behind the bumper and grill openings to protect the oil cooler and radiator's from stones etc and should keep out the leaves to help better cooling.

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1484371
20/04/2014 12:40
20/04/2014 12:40

P
Pondman
Unregistered
Pondman
Unregistered
P

Good luck with all that, it'll be great once back in pristine condition thumb

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1485426
28/04/2014 01:24
28/04/2014 01:24

G
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
G

Have had the original wheels restored to there former glory over the past two weeks, picking them up tomorrow to then re-fit them. they should look like new smile

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1485544
28/04/2014 18:03
28/04/2014 18:03

G
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
G

original restored wheels re-fitted, they look like new. smile Took the car to kwick fit to get the wheel alignment sorted out, front wheels were miles out.

Managed to get my hands on a boot lock for £5... so adapted it to fit my current key. Makes a difference seeing the back of the car with a lock that looks the part. The old lock looked to have been damaged by forcing open with screwdriver.

next project is to neaten up the inside by sending some of the plain scratched / tired plastic parts away to be coated. planning of coating with carbon fibre finish.

have got new air con radiator on the way as the old one is rotted and falling apart. have also got pro alloy intercooler on order. some fine mesh to fit in the front bumper gaps to keep flys and stones out the new radiator / intercooler.

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1485951
30/04/2014 13:38
30/04/2014 13:38
Midlands
MCMike Offline
Club member 2095
MCMike  Offline
Club member 2095
Forum is my job

Midlands
That's clever - how do you adopt a boot lock to fit your current key ? I need to get the boot lock on my Crono working, but don't really want an extra key..

1972 Triumph Stag
1984 Alfasud TI
1999 Fiat Coupe Turbo LE
2005 350Z

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: MCMike] #1485960
30/04/2014 14:39
30/04/2014 14:39
Auld Reekie
Edinburgh Offline
Club President, member225
Edinburgh  Offline
Club President, member225
Forum veteran

Auld Reekie
Originally Posted By: MCMike
That's clever - how do you adopt a boot lock to fit your current key ? I need to get the boot lock on my Crono working, but don't really want an extra key..

I guess he strips down the barrel and rearranges the leaves to the right key shape, with a little judicious filing perhaps.

BumbleBee carer smile
Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1486048
01/05/2014 00:04
01/05/2014 00:04

C
cheech
Unregistered
cheech
Unregistered
C

There is a combination of 4 or 5 different profile leaves in the barrel . Its a matter of re ordering them to suit key.
This could mean needing a number of barrels to make one depending on the profiles needed.

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1486436
03/05/2014 10:02
03/05/2014 10:02

G
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
G

The lock that i fitted works great with the current key, How i did it - insert the kit into the lock barrel when dismantled. the pegs will go where they want to be at this stage. i used a dremel with a grinding disk fitted to make the pegs flush with the barrel on both sides. flush through with WD40 to get rid of grinding bits. clean up barrel and other parts. re-build the barrel and mount into the car. hay presto, working lock smile

took me about 45 minutes tom start to fitted finish.

Next week i have a person coming round to remove the dents in the sills and rear arch, de rust the surface rust all over car on the visible body the colour match and spray the said areas to get her like new. The end result will be a new looking car that mach the new looking wheels smile

the rust in the engine bay are is something i shall tackle on myself. My slam panel is completely rusted away in areas, hoping to try find one in a scrap yard or something that i can repair to now standard with the help of an engineering company to weld plates on to it.

have got some of the plastic internal parts sent away to wicked coatings to get carbon fibre dipped. looking for a local engraver to engrave my alloy gear knob with gear layout and with the same style as the dash writing (like script writing) - engine start on the alloy button.

next on the list will be getting some original car mats or replica car mats with the 20V Turbo logo on them.

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1486439
03/05/2014 10:13
03/05/2014 10:13

J
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
johnnybravoturbo
Unregistered
J

Looks a good project Chris.
Bargain.

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1487281
08/05/2014 20:17
08/05/2014 20:17

G
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
G

Have had half the dents and rust removed from the car, said rust areas primed and spayed to colour match the other paint. The fuel pump wiring has been beefed up with 30A wire, relay and a 20 A fuse fitted. Have got a tailer made car cover to protect her when finished, but not on the car yet as i keep going into her everyday for the moment until all the jobs are squared away.

The FMIC turned up today, but not fitting this until the new gold plated slam panel has been fitted first - this may turn up tomorrow or next week. The first batch of plastic parts that were sent off for coating should be along next week to fit back in (carbon fibre look: brake light cover, centre console, steering wheel shrouds), then the next batch will be shipped off when there removed (door handles, ash tray, handbrake console).

The next problem on the list is to get a mobile air con person to come look at my system, Have fitted a new condenser as the original one was rotted and the pipes connected to it were hanging off... hopefully it will be a case of gas in and away it goes, if not i will be saving up to fix it.

Had a quote from Flea with respect to giving the car some more horses, he came back with a good price as drive in, drive out job... but will be saving up so much per month to get the funds together to do it... maybe 6 months or so.

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1487537
09/05/2014 23:03
09/05/2014 23:03

G
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
G

A busy day on the coupe today, The new slam panel arrived, adapted it to suit the FMIC. fitted it after i sealed the adapted areas to prevent rust. The pro alloy FMIC is also fitted. The front of the car was de-rusted and given 3 coats of Grey primer to seal it on the main structure.
The black metal parts were given an additional coat of wax oil to make them black and protect them, Also the underside at the front was treated with wax oil while things were apart. re-built the front after doing this work.

Have run a wire into the passenger compartment to hook up to the relay for the fuel pump wire mod to reduce the impedance of the wire and give a small boost of power level at the pump - waiting for a new connector before i can connect it to the fuel pump plug, then part company with the yellow connector.

Have arranged for a mobile zircon person to come next week to leak test and re-fill the air con system. Next weekend i will be fitting the modified aux pulley and belt to reduce chance of cam belt issue. During the week i hope to fit the first batch of plastic trim that will of been covered in carbon fibre. Will also intend to fit the new cam cover gasket as the current one looks like its been leaking, followed by application of engine degreaser and a wash down after its done - while the cam cover is off i may also paint it as the current paint is flaking off.

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1488690
17/05/2014 23:02
17/05/2014 23:02

G
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
G

some more done on the car today being the weather was good for it.

re-fitted the first batch of plastic parts with carbon fibre coating. They look great and a vast improvement from the original scratch and tired plastic. Removed the rocker cover to fit new gasket being the old one was leaking, while cover was off i cleaned it up as the original paint job was flaking off in places. a fresh coat of paint given to the rocker cover - but the new paint reacted and looks a mess.... will have to sand blast the cover back to bare metal when winter comes round to then have attempt two painting session to get it to right standard.

New car mats fitted great, they even have Coupe logo on them, although they are not the original logo as i can't source them. All the wiring for the centre console and floor console has been checked over and replaced where required. radio wiring corrected also. New radio ant fitted on windscreen.

Engine de-greased and cleaned up. Even had time to take her for a test run to the shops and back... be it shops 20 miles away smile

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1492496
06/06/2014 16:54
06/06/2014 16:54

G
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
G

the carbon fibre coated parts have arrived back, they are fitted and look quite smart, certainly better than the original scratched worn plastic that was on display before hand.

Fitted the boost controller and set it up for wet / dry setting. made a nice neat job of this if a say so myself, fitted out of site in the ash tray.

Have ot a new air con compressor to fit next... a job for a sunday.

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1495654
25/06/2014 17:42
25/06/2014 17:42

G
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
G

Air con compressor fitted and gassed up, tested and working great.

reconditioned door pillars and door handles fitted to neaten up that area as the original ones had a coupe of areas where they were starting to bubble under the paint. New chrome badges fitted at the same time.

indicator side repeater lenses replaced from original orange ones to clear ones to match the rear light setup.

the underside of the car has had the loose underseal cleaned off and a fresh coat of underseal applied, then coated in wax oil to preserve / protect.

torn door seal replaced to ensure no swimming pool appears.

the new radio fitted, setup and tested - it now matches the car nicely as well. new antenna fitted for the radio - i used a windscreen mounted self adhesive one that has built in pre amp.

just the paint work and a flea tune up to sort out then she ready to take out to FCCUK meets smile

Re: Tim 42's Coupe [Re: ] #1497002
04/07/2014 14:44
04/07/2014 14:44

G
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
go_fast_Chris
Unregistered
G

filler cap restored by myself... first time ever to try this sort of item. end result looks good and much more shiny now as well.

door pillars and door handles removed, sanded back to metal, corrosion sorted out, re-painted and coated in lacquer to protect the paint, nice shiny look now.

washed, waxed and polished with autoglym products.

left to do it dent to passenger side skirt to be pulled, filled and painted.

coil overs will be hopefully next year then just run of the mill maintenance to to after that.