Fiat Coupe Club UK

Fiat Stilo 1.2 Active - Issue

Posted By: MarioCirillo

Fiat Stilo 1.2 Active - Issue - 08/05/2012 21:26

Hello Guys

Im wondering if anyone can help.
I have a 1.2 16v Active. I was driving yesterday and all of a sudden the car lost power and sounded very rough, it was missfireing like crazy. While this was happening the following was also happening:

I was getting ASR failure and engine failure flashing on the screen. I can also hear clicking of relays (constantly) coming from the fuse box and the petrol guage keeps moving up and down.

I had my dad check the car over we cleaned all of the earths and the issue was still there. Checked the battery and alternator and they were fine.

We ran a diagnostics and it showed "random missfire from 1 and 3". We changed the coils on 1 and 3 and the car started fine, no more clicking either, the fuel guage was still having a life of its own though!.

As soon as we drove the car out of the garage it all started again, missfire and clicking of relays along with engine and asr errors.

Any ideas would be grealy appriciated!!

Thanks

Mario

ps we also changed the relay in question...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Fiat Stilo 1.2 Active - Issue - 08/05/2012 21:36

Which is the relay thats clicking.
Also as daft as it may sound have you replaced the plugs recently and if so has the issues been since then?

Check the Ecu isnt full of Water,and give the gearbox earth a good tug as iirc it affects the instrument cluster.You could try putting jump leads from the battery -IVE to the gearbox and the engine to see if it cures the fault.

Re: Fiat Stilo 1.2 Active - Issue - 08/05/2012 21:43

no idea i will have to have a look

nothings been done on the car for a long long time just happend out of the blue.... maybe thats the problem laugh coupe gets all the lovin stilo gets nothing... now they are both cloud9 laugh

will check the gearbox earth although i think we did.

The ecu is right next to the engine and is unlikely to get full of water but we did have a quick look and it seemed fine...

Re: Fiat Stilo 1.2 Active - Issue - 08/05/2012 21:44

cleared errors using the software... they came back straight away grr
Posted By: szkom

Re: Fiat Stilo 1.2 Active - Issue - 08/05/2012 21:56

A quick check for bad main earths is checking how hot it gets. If it's shot you'll know about it.

Re: Fiat Stilo 1.2 Active - Issue - 08/05/2012 22:54

Mileage?

Re: Fiat Stilo 1.2 Active - Issue - 09/05/2012 09:34

around 100,000 ... why?

Re: Fiat Stilo 1.2 Active - Issue - 09/05/2012 13:41

scrap it laugh

Re: Fiat Stilo 1.2 Active - Issue - 09/05/2012 13:43

you can't scrap the BEAST .

Re: Fiat Stilo 1.2 Active - Issue - 09/05/2012 13:48

Watery fuse box?

Re: Fiat Stilo 1.2 Active - Issue - 09/05/2012 15:33

fuse box is in the car and is bone dry . All other electrics are cased in the engine bay frown

No marco im not scrapping it, its an aweseome car. has done me proud the past 6 years

Re: Fiat Stilo 1.2 Active - Issue - 09/05/2012 21:23

Check and clean ECU earthing points (use electrical contact cleaner).
Has it been using any coolant?
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK