Fiat Coupe Club UK

New tyres time

Posted By: Anonymous

New tyres time - 15/04/2015 00:04

So I need x4 new tyres and don't have that much cash left this month but don't want crap tyres....so looking for good value.

I have 205/50s but thinking of changing to 225/45s.

Seen fitted x4 225/45 Nexen N6000s for 260 quid or x4 Toyo Proxes T1-R 205/50 for 315.

Anything else worth looking at at 300 ish quid for x4 tyres....Avon?

Cheers.

Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: New tyres time - 15/04/2015 00:37

Try MyTyres or Camskill for T1Rs
Posted By: ePiFaNT

Re: New tyres time - 15/04/2015 04:03

Tyre Leader has Michelin Pilot Sport 3 for £271.16 in 205/50-16. From what I've read they're a different league than the T1-Rs (nevermind, I was thinking of the Super Sports). Definitely not crap tyres, and most certainly good value smile
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: New tyres time - 15/04/2015 07:23

eBay tyre store has a set of ToyoTR1s for £243 with free delivery. Just fitted a set and great grip and settled ride.

Re: New tyres time - 15/04/2015 10:27

Thanks guys.

What are Toyo's like in the wet, just noticed the E rain rating frown

Can't find Michelin Pilot Super Sport in 205 50 r16 or 225 45 r16.

Re: New tyres time - 15/04/2015 12:06

falken 914's , so far very happy with them, as many are on here

Re: New tyres time - 15/04/2015 23:34

What do people think of Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and the Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance tyres?
Posted By: andyps

Re: New tyres time - 15/04/2015 23:42

Originally Posted By: Jim_Jiminy
Thanks guys.

What are Toyo's like in the wet, just noticed the E rain rating frown

Can't find Michelin Pilot Super Sport in 205 50 r16 or 225 45 r16.

Blackcircles list the Pilot Sport 3 in 205/50/16 - £96.48 each

Re: New tyres time - 16/04/2015 08:21

ive got uniroyal rain expert 2 on my 16v and the mrs on her slk has rain expert 3's.....at least you would be safe in the wet [ top priority in this country] . Nice design also. Probably might wear a little quicker than the falkens though.
Posted By: dw89

Re: New tyres time - 16/04/2015 22:12

Toyo's are a decent tyre for the price, but I think I will either go back to the Michelin Pilot Sport or try the continental sport tyres. Toyos are not as comfortable compared to the Michelins are are more noisy.

Re: New tyres time - 16/04/2015 23:30

Ive narrowed it down to :

Falken 914 at £282 fitted for x4 at Halfords,
Michelin PS3 at £375 fitted for x4 with tyresonthedrive.com
Uniroyal Rainsport 2 at £314 fitted x4 with tyresonthedrive.com
Uniroyal Rainsport 3 at £320 fitted x4 with Event tyres

So really struggling to decide smile

Any thoughts?

Re: New tyres time - 16/04/2015 23:35

uniroyals aren't as hard wearing as the falkens in my opinion, but they grip well and the rainsport 3's are better than the 2's. See " tyre review " at www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre if you haven't already. I paid 280 for my falkens fitted .

Re: New tyres time - 16/04/2015 23:36

personally i'd go for the 3's, nice looking tread pattern too.

Re: New tyres time - 16/04/2015 23:45

but the 2's last longer smile

Re: New tyres time - 17/04/2015 21:35

Looks like I wasn't paying attention to the speed rating. As I have a 20VT I need at least W....so that rules out the Falken 914 and Michelin PS3 frown

SO, now its between the Rainsport 3's with their "soft" sidewalls as some reviews say, OR the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT.

Any others worth looking at?
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: New tyres time - 17/04/2015 21:50

Just realised I said this before laugh
Posted By: knight7660

Re: New tyres time - 17/04/2015 23:11

Looks like I wasn't paying attention to the speed rating. As I have a 20VT I need at least W....so that rules out the Falken 914 and Michelin PS3 frown

SO, now its between the Rainsport 3's with their "soft" sidewalls as some reviews say, OR the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT.

Any others worth looking at?

Try these Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 225/35 R18 Y (87), Reinforced there very good, I think there better than the toyo's and eagle f1's on the reviews there better than a lot of better branded tyres

Re: New tyres time - 18/04/2015 06:30

i currently have the falken tyres on mine... they have always done me proud so far in wet and dry.... but would say that the front like to spin and understeer in the wet at times... but this might be somthing to do with the large fleshy thing in the drivers seat and a lead foot.

the next tires i am going for will be the toyo R888 tires when i wear the current ones out.... being my car is mainly used for good days / high days type of driving and not every day.
Posted By: Cooperman

Re: New tyres time - 18/04/2015 17:51

I have the Hankooks on my VRS and just picked up a pair of 225 40 18s from Black circles for £145
Posted By: Gunzi

Re: New tyres time - 18/04/2015 19:34

Originally Posted By: go_fast_Chris
i currently have the falken tyres on mine... they have always done me proud so far in wet and dry.... but would say that the front like to spin and understeer in the wet at times... but this might be somthing to do with the large fleshy thing in the drivers seat and a lead foot.

the next tires i am going for will be the toyo R888 tires when i wear the current ones out.... being my car is mainly used for good days / high days type of driving and not every day.

I did a fair bit of research into semi slicks and went with Yokohama Advan AD08Rs, they came out better than the R888s on overall performance and grip. The Evo review swayed me!

Prior to that I ran T-1Rs exclusively which were fine by a very old tyre design. I believe the latest Toyo equivalents are the T1- Sport, not to be confused with the even older T1-S!
Posted By: andyps

Re: New tyres time - 18/04/2015 19:59

I'm using AD08s on mine most of the time but the main use the car has is for hillclimbinging and they are the most extreme tyre allowed in the road modified class. In the dry they are fantastic, great grip and feel with progressive breakaway. Not particularly good in the wet though as the grip levels are much lower, but still progressive when they do let go. They do have very stiff sidewalls though so make the ride even harder, depends if you are happy with that on a regular basis - if I have a few journeys to use the Coupe for between events it tends to get swapped back onto the Falken 452s I have as the ride is much better (and it saves wear on the now unobtainable AD08s as they are replaced with the R which I can't use).
Posted By: jimboy

Re: New tyres time - 18/04/2015 21:34

Apologies if I sound obvious...If you're the type of driver who is sedate, well there are already stated several choices that will do. however if you do want the best & will last Continentals. Sometimes this can work out to your advantage in the long run.

Re: New tyres time - 20/04/2015 13:23

Well I've come to the conclusion there really isn't much choice for me as I'm still on standard wheels, and need a W speed rating in 205/50 r16.

Thanks for the suggestions but no Michelin PS3 in a W, no Falkn 914s, no Hankook Ventus V12s, no Conti sports.

All there is is Dunlop Sport Maxx RT, Perelli P7, Hankook Ventus Prime 2, Toyo T1-R, Bridgstone Touranza T002, Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance, Conti Premium Contact 2s or Uniroyal Rainsports 2 or 3s.

Decisions...decisions... evil

Re: New tyres time - 20/04/2015 13:33

I can get rid of one for you...I flogged the ventus primes on ebay , could not get rid of them quick enough. Dire. If you go for the uniroyals make sure your tracking and tyre pressure is good as the walls can wear very quickly as soft,
Posted By: wink

Re: New tyres time - 20/04/2015 14:06

Do they really have to be W rated? Michelin PS3 is available in V rating, which is listed as ok for 149mph, don't think you're likely to exceed this on the road:).
Posted By: neil_r

Re: New tyres time - 20/04/2015 14:14

All there is is Dunlop Sport Maxx RT, Perelli P7, Hankook Ventus Prime 2, Toyo T1-R, Bridgstone Touranza T002, Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance, Conti Premium Contact 2s or Uniroyal Rainsports 2 or 3s.

Of those tyres, only the Dunlops are a real UHP tyre. The rest are mid-range stuff. The RTs seem to review well overall against their UHP competition, not usually the very best but still very respectable. I looked into them as my recently aquired XKR came on them. You could do a lot worse!

Re: New tyres time - 20/04/2015 14:41

Originally Posted By: wink
Do they really have to be W rated? Michelin PS3 is available in V rating, which is listed as ok for 149mph, don't think you're likely to exceed this on the road:).

Apparently it has to be a W or above for insurance reasons from what I've read on this forum. That's for a 20VT anyway.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: New tyres time - 21/04/2015 10:27

From that list, it would have to be the Toyo for me - seems to suit the Coupe very well and is reasonably priced too

The Conti SportContact2 (not the PremiumContact) is probably a slightly better tyre, but its a bit more expensive

EDIT - I wouldn't put a V rated tyre on a 20VT - its not just about the top speed, its also about the load, and a Coupe puts a lot of load through its front tyres

Re: New tyres time - 21/04/2015 13:58

Have a look at this table for one view of independent comparative ratings:

https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/re...rcePageId=31821

Re: New tyres time - 21/04/2015 15:29

Originally Posted By: go_fast_Chris

always thought " driving whilst high " was illegal shocked
Posted By: wink

Re: New tyres time - 21/04/2015 22:35

Quote:
I wouldn't put a V rated tyre on a 20VT - its not just about the top speed, its also about the load, and a Coupe puts a lot of load through its front tyres

Load rating and speed rating are different. I don't think a V rated tyre would pose a safety risk, but I accept the potential insurance problem.

Re: New tyres time - 22/04/2015 07:36

Completely serious question - I see here and on the Jag forum some people swear by Toyo tyres. However, I have never seen a particularly good professional review of a Toyo. They seem to be average at best and often have poor wet performance. On top of that, they seem to wear out fast. Price-wise, there is little difference either. So why the following?

Re: New tyres time - 22/04/2015 08:47

I've had dozens of T1-Rs on my Coupe and I've just bought another pair to replace the Conti SC3s that I've trashed in very short order.

The T1-R seems to be quite car-sensitive - on some cars, they are very average and on others, they provide very good grip and decent feedback. They seem to suit a Coupe quite well. There are definitely better tyres out there, but usually at a much higher price.

Despite 400+ bhp, I get 12,000+ from fronts and 20,000+ from rears

So - I'd say its the three-way balance between price, performance and durability that makes them popular amongst the semi-sporty car fraternity

Re: New tyres time - 22/04/2015 10:14

OK, fair viewpoint smile

However, is the price usually that much better? For example, the top Dunlop (Sportmaxx RT) in the std. coupe size only seems to be about 10 Pounds more and is by no means a bad tyre, looking at a number of fairly recent tests. In Germany, the price difference is usually even smaller, so I would tend to go with the more famous tyre that has also tested better.

I can't say if the RTs are really good as I'm not confident enough with the XKR to really push it and they are not new (on car when I got it). However, they don't seem to be a bad choice, being quiet and comfortable too (or is that the car?).

The Contis I have had have not worn well either!

Re: New tyres time - 22/04/2015 10:16

I think Nigel’s on to something there, about the Toyos suiting some cars better than others. They feel good on my Coupé so far, for fast road use in the dry and the wet.

Re: New tyres time - 22/04/2015 12:29

Thanks for the advice.

I think now it's between:

Dunop SportMaxx RT OR Toyo T1-R in 205 50 R6 W/Y

They are the same price fitted around £340-50.

Re: New tyres time - 22/04/2015 13:15

Also consider the Toyo Proxes T1 Sport - seems to be better all round than the T1-R, but you might struggle to find any in 205/50 16

Re: New tyres time - 22/04/2015 13:23

Go with the Dunlops and tell us what they are like on the Fiat smile

The Dunlop seems to have out scored the Toyo T1 Sport a few times and that is a better tyre than the T1-R in the Toyo range.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Auto-Bild-Max-Performance-Tyre-Test.htm

https://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/re...rcePageId=31821

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-Auto-Zeitung-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Re: New tyres time - 22/04/2015 16:07

Actually, it’s Toyo Proxes CF2 that I have. Should have said, sorry.

http://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/proxes-cf2

Re: New tyres time - 26/04/2015 10:19

Went with the Dunop SportMaxx RTs....fitting Tuesday, will let you know what they are like.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK