Fiat Coupe Club UK

Track day wheel choice

Posted By: Anonymous

Track day wheel choice - 10/01/2015 23:14

Hi folks, I'm contemplating preparing my 20v turbo for use a track car and looking for wheel advice, as I've had a few standard alloys crack In the past, am I just being paranoid or is this a common failure on these wheels?
Posted By: Freddan72

Re: Track day wheel choice - 11/01/2015 10:49

I have used standard plus rims for several years without any issues. TD Pro Race 1.2 is a nice option.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Track day wheel choice - 11/01/2015 12:14

There's been quite a few standard wheels crack on the 20vt's. The spokes crack near to where they join the central hub.

As said above, the Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.2 are a good option, light weight and good ventilation for the brakes and no need for spacers or wobble bolts.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Track day wheel choice - 11/01/2015 12:50

If you're going to use standard wheels, make sure they've never been powder coated

There's evidence to suggest that the heating of the alloy required in the powder coating process is enough to change the metallurgical structure of the casting, sufficient to weaken it.

I've run 17" Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 for several years - good strong wheel, and quite a bit lighter than standard

Re: Track day wheel choice - 11/01/2015 13:37

I have team dynamics pro race 1's and 3's both in 17" and would recommend either for track day wheels .

1's

click to enlarge click to enlarge

3's

click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Track day wheel choice - 13/01/2015 00:03

Cheers for the input guys,I'll keep you posted as/when I start my track prep
Posted By: Per

Re: Track day wheel choice - 13/01/2015 09:24

click to enlarge

I've been using my std 16" rims on many rough trackdays (big curbs etc) without troubles but, they've never been powdercoated either (just repainted).

click to enlarge
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK