Fiat Coupe Club UK

Almera gti

Posted By: u04pww2

Almera gti - 11/10/2012 21:44

Thinking of one as a wee runaround - any experiences?
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: Almera gti - 11/10/2012 23:18

I had one as a courtesy car when my 16VT was in for servicing, around 2004. I thought the handling was astounding. Far better than the coupés! I almost swapped for it permanently.
Posted By: chrissy

Re: Almera gti - 12/10/2012 10:22

No experience, But I was tempted to buy one sooo many times as a cheap reliable quirky car, I like them still, And thining about it - Cant remember the last time I saw one on the road...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Almera gti - 12/10/2012 12:10

I remember the magazines thought highly of their handling but presumably any out there now will need some suspension refreshment to feel their best.

Re: Almera gti - 12/10/2012 14:36

yea there is only one near me and its kept in great condition -seems to be alot of car for the money they go for - mpg should be decent aswell compared to the coup.
Posted By: Easy

Re: Almera gti - 12/10/2012 14:53

I owned one many moons ago. Very good handling, utterly reliable, decent fuel economy and quite nippy.

TimR is right about the suspension though, mine hadn't covered many miles but I needed to change the rear shock absorbers if I recall in my ownership. Also the clutch cable needed replacing but apart from I don't think I had to replace any other parts as it always flew through it's MOT.

Check for rust on the rear arches but that is the case with nearly all old Jap cars. All in all a very good car, will serve you well if you purchase one.

Re: Almera gti - 15/10/2012 13:39

On my list as potential next runabout snotter - but there don't seem to be many about. Whether this is because there weren't many sold or whether they haven't taken the miles too well I don't know.

Always liked them, read a decent review of one at the time (97ish) when there weren't too many not hatches kicking about. Seemed to offer decentish performance and looked quite sharp.

Oh, and then there was the Sweeney p1sstake advert for them which was inspired laugh
Posted By: chrissy

Re: Almera gti - 15/10/2012 14:10

Theres an expensive one on Autotrader, But this is a cheapy, I really do think they are cool, http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/class...hs-m-o-t/781517

Re: Almera gti - 17/10/2014 16:39

Update*

I found a low mileage well cared for example for sale for 1k - had to travel to the arse end of England to get it but the gamble payed off. Last owner was a valeter and it shows, it's in mint condition and has a few modifications done to it. Handling wise it's in a different league to the Coupe (reminds me of the old clio willams) and performance wise its not far off the new hot hatches considering the lack of turbo charged grunt it posted a 15.4 1/4 mile time at crail.

Reliability wise I've only had to change tyres, brakes and clutch cable so far. It's amazing value for money if you're not a badge snob, also great for surprising more modern machinery down a B road.

Re: Almera gti - 17/10/2014 23:29

It's not red is it? Sounds like my old one. Same time at crail.

I've had two
click to enlarge
click to enlarge

click to enlarge

Re: Almera gti - 20/10/2014 17:33

no mine is the controversial Tropical Green colour. I love it myself cleans up nicely.

I found at crail that i beat almost everything off the line including a 911 turbo and Ariel Atom but once into 2nd/3rd they flew past me like i'd just selected reverse.

Tempted to go down the turbo charging route but don't have the funds at the moment.

Re: Almera gti - 20/10/2014 19:15

They are brilliant to boost, awesome cars. Loved mine to bits just check for rust. Rear inner arches and under the rear seat is favourite for the nasty Brown.
click to enlarge
Posted By: Dazvr6

Re: Almera gti - 23/10/2014 12:50

There was one on ebay a couple of weeks ago with a Pulsar engine fitted.
Shame it had been parked up for a while as it needed a lot of welding I believe.

Re: Almera gti - 23/10/2014 12:52

Let's have some pics then smile

Re: Almera gti - 23/10/2014 12:54

Tidy red one on ebay:

red gti

Re: Almera gti - 23/10/2014 12:58

Sold for £1750!

almera/sr20

Re: Almera gti - 23/10/2014 16:37

Couple of really nice ones there. I kinda regret selling mine.
But id have not got the great coupe money pit if I'd not sold it.

Re: Almera gti - 23/10/2014 17:30

Yea i saw that on ebay when it came up - 400hp in the almera would be ridiculous going by Dave Bulls Crail videos on youtube.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK