Fiat Coupe Club UK

159 vs Mk5 Golf GTi

Posted By: Gunzi

159 vs Mk5 Golf GTi - 31/01/2012 19:48

Following on from this thread, we've whittled it down to either an Alfa 159 or a mk5 Golf GTi, or possibly a mk5 GT 1.4 TSi. I'm aware this isn't a direct comparison because they're quite different cars.

Does anybody have any experiences of the Golf GTi, I've read a few reviews and they all rave about it as a great hot hatch and all rounder.

Of the list on the link above it's the only car that if I was driving and a 159 drove past I wouldn't think "we've bought the wrong car".

My issue with the GTi is would I get bored with my Coupe?! They're similar power and weights and the Golf would almost certainly handle better std vs std. I'm worried my Coupe wouldn't get a look in!

What are your thoughts?
Posted By: Kayjey

Re: 159 vs Mk5 Golf GTi - 31/01/2012 20:35

Well you won't get tired of the Coupe because the engine is music rather than noise.
Posted By: jasgol

Re: 159 vs Mk5 Golf GTi - 31/01/2012 20:40

I've got a mk5 GTi special edition 30 (30 extra horses) and I must say I've been a bit disappointed since I bought it 3 years ago, I just kept thinking 'not as much fun as my old coop' so much so that I got my plus 6 months ago.
Don't get me wrong, the GTi is a solid, reliable, more fun than average car and on paper it has pretty much the same power to weight ratio as the Fiat…but it doesn't feel like it, even when you cane it. It just doesn't slip through the air like a coupe.
The plus get's a lot more TLC than the chubby german and smiles per miles it's the coupe all the way.

Re: 159 vs Mk5 Golf GTi - 31/01/2012 20:48

Originally Posted By: Kayjey
Well you won't get tired of the Coupe because the engine is music rather than noise.

That is so true, the first time I got in the Golf I thought it sounded like a freakin diesel!

Re: 159 vs Mk5 Golf GTi - 31/01/2012 21:26

Having not driven one yet I hadn't thought about the "ridden" 4 pot under the bonnet!

Whatever we buy will be the family wagon, both the Alfa and Golf are appealing. From what I can find out on alfaowner, they 159's have a few issues, clutches with DMF = £1200 to replace, the colour of the PAS fluid, steering racks failing. This is why I am swaying towards the "trusty" Golf!

Re: 159 vs Mk5 Golf GTi - 31/01/2012 21:50

The Golf has known issues with the DSG so might be best to opt for the manual.

Re: 159 vs Mk5 Golf GTi - 31/01/2012 21:51

Noted, thanks smile
Posted By: pinin_prestatyn

Re: 159 vs Mk5 Golf GTi - 31/01/2012 23:17

My dad's got a MK6 TSI and it's a nice car. He got it as a brand spanker through motability last September. There's a slight pause between putting your foot down and it rocketing off, which can be a bit disconserting if you're not prepared for it. You put your foot half way down at a junction, nothing, so you put your foot down a little more, at which point you fly out with a load of wheelspin, looking like a complete chav! It's a decently put together car with all the toys. It's quite good off-boost but as it's not mine I usually drive it with a heavy right leg, and the MPG plummets. Saying you've drove a twincharged car is pretty cool too, makes you think of the Delta S4 laugh 0-60 Feels quick but I've timed it at just over 8 seconds.
Posted By: barnacle

Re: 159 vs Mk5 Golf GTi - 01/02/2012 06:32

Originally Posted By: jasgol
I've got a mk5 GTi special edition 30 (30 extra horses) and I must say I've been a bit disappointed since I bought it 3 years ago, I just kept thinking 'not as much fun as my old coop' so much so that I got my plus 6 months ago.

Golf. *Like* a coupe, but *not* a coupe...

Re: 159 vs Mk5 Golf GTi - 01/02/2012 19:36

Cheers for the input chaps, the next thing is getting a drive in both the Golf and 159.

Re: 159 vs Mk5 Golf GTi - 01/02/2012 19:55

come back with a report! thumb
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK