Fiat Coupe Club UK

Dash Cam

Posted By: PaulL

Dash Cam - 30/08/2020 16:57

We have just bought and installed an Ape-man dashcam in our 500L. With discount voucher it was less than £30 installed. We are very happy up to now, and will put one into Coupe, when a few jobs are complete.

We have hidden cables but connected to cigarette lighter.

All you need is in the box, except a micro SD card.

Neighbour has one as well, and he's quite fussy!

May not be as good as a top of the range Nextbase, but does the safety job very well.

Re: Dash Cam - 22/12/2020 08:45

Apeman now in coupe.

They are really good value.
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Dash Cam - 22/12/2020 09:29

That sounds like a bargain Paul. I have a nextbase but have needed to replace the magnetic mount twice due to the lead connector failing so most expensive not always best it would appear
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Dash Cam - 22/12/2020 13:29

Is this for footage you will take while driving, or to lower your insurance?

I've never seen why people would want them. Especially cyclists - but someone told me its for protection re fault in a crash?

Thanks for any feed back.
Posted By: Ballypete

Re: Dash Cam - 22/12/2020 21:07

Originally Posted by Master_Mariner
Is this for footage you will take while driving, or to lower your insurance?

I've never seen why people would want them. Especially cyclists - but someone told me its for protection re fault in a crash?

Thanks for any feed back.

Cant speak for cars, but my helmet cam certainly protected me when I was knocked off my pedal cycle by a motorist in 2014. Hospitalised and then donut cushion for weeks as the coccydynia subsided. Driver alleged I had fallen off and was making it up. Because I was a serving police Inspector I was then subjected to an investigation by professional standards into my integrity as a result. Ive still got the camera footage that convicted him. it shows him driving straight into me from the side as if I wasn't there. I shudder to think what the outcome might have been otherwise. I had bought the camera the week before as I took part in a cross country charity cycle ride to raise money for the families of officers killed on duty, but always wear one now and have front and back in my car. There are just too many lying b*stards out there on our roads.

Re: Dash Cam - 22/12/2020 22:18

Hello

I've been watching dash cam footage for some while, and thought that video would assist in an insurance claim.
High pricing has always put me off.
The Apeman offers an element of protection. Other people's driving does appear to be getting worse. It may be because I'm getting old.
Not thought of asking for a reduction in the insurance. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted additional premium for altering the car.
Incidentally, I thought that I had a snag with the battery in the unit keeping charge. I emailed Apeman for comment. They replied within 24 hours with advice and comment, and requesting my sales details to look further.
In the end they were able to confirm that the units only hold enough power for a very short time to record if the car is bumped while parked.
They seem very genuine.
Posted By: Master_Mariner

Re: Dash Cam - 31/12/2020 11:05

Originally Posted by Ballypete

Cant speak for cars, but my helmet cam certainly protected me when I was knocked off my pedal cycle by a motorist in 2014. Hospitalised and then donut cushion for weeks as the coccydynia subsided. Driver alleged I had fallen off and was making it up. Because I was a serving police Inspector I was then subjected to an investigation by professional standards into my integrity as a result. Ive still got the camera footage that convicted him. it shows him driving straight into me from the side as if I wasn't there. I shudder to think what the outcome might have been otherwise. I had bought the camera the week before as I took part in a cross country charity cycle ride to raise money for the families of officers killed on duty, but always wear one now and have front and back in my car. There are just too many lying b*stards out there on our roads.

Glad you recovered and were able to use the footage Ballypete thumb I guess people are more use to being filmed now we live in the digital age. Although the very thought makes me shudder- people seem happy to have them and record everything they do. I am getting very old I guess.

Regards all,

MM
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK