Fiat Coupe Club UK

Turbo Choice?

Posted By: Flea

Turbo Choice? - 27/03/2009 19:01

No this isn't for me laugh

Just interested to know what people thing of the various turbo choices out there and why they might/have chosen them. I have driven/mapped pretty much every turbo going so I know what I think is the "best" overall turbo option for the coupe.

Discuss...
Posted By: technics

Re: Turbo Choice? - 27/03/2009 19:12

Well what do you think is the best option turbo?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Turbo Choice? - 27/03/2009 19:38

i have a superspool in at the moment, will end up with a gt28rsr. smile
Posted By: Hyperlink

Re: Turbo Choice? - 27/03/2009 19:49

GT28R.... it was on the car when I bought it.
Posted By: Benny

Re: Turbo Choice? - 27/03/2009 20:39

I chose a 28rs because i wanted to a little more torque and power smile

Firstly, i was concerned about the lag so before i decided i went out with Goose in his blue coupe
who recently fitted a rs with a 3' exhaust and we were both amazed at how quick it would come on boost and torque shocked

IMHO my coupe is very pokey laugh with modest boost and a pleasure to drive wink and suits my needs down to the ground.

Ben
Posted By: technics

Re: Turbo Choice? - 27/03/2009 21:48

RSR. laugh

Re: Turbo Choice? - 28/03/2009 00:31

GT3071R-WG a/r 0.64 wink

My goal is 400HP+. I know it is possible with a GT2871R so it will be "easier" with this model.

GT3071R-WG has the same compressor as 2871R but has a slightly bigger turbine (56mm vs 53mm).

I'm going fully forged with 9:1 CR pistons, internally balanced, 3" exhaust, fmic + sip, 440cc injectors, headwork : "3 angles" valves + ported headcam and manifolds (exhaust + intake), C&B cams if someone tell me how to time them, etc... in fact i will do every necessary mod to be sure to reach and go past the 400HP barrier thumb

Matty did it without headwork, so i am confident. laugh

Re: Turbo Choice? - 28/03/2009 03:01

hello mate you will see 400bhp easy with that turbo and mods

Re: Turbo Choice? - 28/03/2009 03:31

It all depends on what you want out of your engine. So there will never be a definative turbo choice.
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Turbo Choice? - 28/03/2009 08:54

If you don't drive much above say 100mph, then the standard turbo, or close derivatives is astoundingly good - I was REALLY impressed when I drove a standard car recently - SO tractable and so little lag - very impressive up to 5,000rpm - lots of mid-range punch

In fact I'd go so far to say that on a twisty B road, a standard car really wouldn't be that much slower than mine

However, from a personal perspective, I'd have to say that my current turbo is the best choice I could have made for what I wanted the car to do.

Its not too laggy (full boost by 3,500, positive boost soon after 2,500) but the top end is just great - pulls hard all the way to the redline.

I've just spent two weeks on base boost (due to a knackered rear radius arm bearing and the accompanying vague handling). When I got the car back on Wednesday, I turned the boost back up and had a blast - bloody hell, its fast. It feels like that first time you opened up your newly-acquired 20VT - the mad rush of power - except that I've got at least 75% more AND it just never tails off until the rev limiter cuts in - huge fun

GT2871 all the way wink

Re: Turbo Choice? - 28/03/2009 09:19

mitsubishi evo 9 turbo..
full boost 3000rpm ( 1.4bar on RR )
2500rpm 0.6bar already
no lag, and good for 400hp.
maybe a little hard to put on 20vt car, but 16vt it is not.
cool

Re: Turbo Choice? - 28/03/2009 09:31

Excelent write up Nigel,

So,i take it add a gtec1 , prv ,and a good dump valve over standard, (at relatively little cost) and you avoid the scary bit over 5000 revs and have a better than "astoundingly good" 100 mph car !!!

nothing wrong with standard then !

Re: Turbo Choice? - 28/03/2009 09:41

Originally Posted By: jtm
mitsubishi evo 9 turbo..
2500rpm 0.6bar already
cool

Do you have a twin scroll manifold?

Re: Turbo Choice? - 28/03/2009 10:00

yes I have, of course smile
you can see it here :

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/jq4tm/?action=view&current=paketti.jpg

and I have screamer pipe for the wastegate, because it seems
to be the best for power.. tested by many evo owners and RR showed good numbers.. cool
Posted By: Jumeirah

Re: Turbo Choice? - 28/03/2009 10:22

My personal choice would be standard Turbo for daily use/ street racing and GT2871R for track use.
Posted By: Mark_S

Re: Turbo Choice? - 28/03/2009 10:59

street racing shocked
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Turbo Choice? - 28/03/2009 11:46

I like my little superspool, it might look cute compared to the big boys but it does the job of making the coupe driveable yet nippy very well smile

Re: Turbo Choice? - 28/03/2009 22:21

I presume most people are going to say the turbo they currently have - RSR all the way smile
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Turbo Choice? - 29/03/2009 08:49

So come on Leighton, whats your fave turbo for the coupe so we can all get our orders in smile

Re: Turbo Choice? - 29/03/2009 08:56

I'm replacing my turbo in the next couple of weeks and I'm now leaning towards keeping it standard with a GTEC1. The big power figures are tempting but for every day driving it sounds like the favourite option. Or do I go for a hybrid????????????????????????????
Posted By: Taffy20vt

Re: Turbo Choice? - 29/03/2009 10:49

GT28RS IMO although when I had one I always wanted to upgrade to the 2871R rolleyes

Re: Turbo Choice? - 29/03/2009 18:24

I've just opted for a superspool ,trying for close to 300bhp with minimal lag.

We will see what else is i have in store in the future laugh

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 08:29

Do we want a poll?

Off the top of my head there is:
TB2810 standard
TB28 Hybrid turbo
Superspool
Ultraspool
GtiR
GT28R
GT28RS
GT28RSR

Plus a multitude of bigger turbos GT30's/40/70 etc..

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 08:59

Leight - I guess it really depends on what you mean by 'best'. You could go by a few different categories like:

1. Street use / B roads.
2. DC / Motorway blasts.
3. Track use.
4. Drag strip use.

You also need to take into account at what point you need a forged engine.....

From the cars that I have been in then I would say that the GT28RSR is the best for all of the above, though I have never known what a superspool is like. smile If I was tuning a coupe all over again I think I would go for one of them - or a GTI-R and keep the car for road fun.
Posted By: Freddan72

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 09:03

mitsubishi evo 9 turbo..
2500rpm 0.6bar already
cool

Hmm this one looks nice. Twin scroll flange looks good. Do you have pics of the manifold? How have you divided the exhaust primary pipes? Maybe 1+4 and 2+3
Where did you buy the turbo?

Guys don't forget Mitsubishi TD04-19T. 326 HP smile

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 09:24

In terms of the "best" turbo, this is by no means definitive as we all want different things (and costs!) but if you were to draw a trend line on a scatter plot based on what most people are looking for from their coupe then the turbo of choice would be the GT28RSR smile

With the right mods it does everything really well indeed. Spool is a few 100rpms more than standard, full boost just over 3000rpm, can efficiently run 1.5-1.7bar in the midrange, it punches very hard making good torque and power right to the redline. The RSR turbos never fail to impress when setup correctly smile

I mapped Stevos car last week and coupled with the Accralite pistons (9.1:1 I believe) it was one of the most driveable engines I have experienced. Off boost it was very responsive (closest to a 2.4) but the way the boost builds to 1.5bar was fantastic, really punchy pulling hard all the way.

The hybrid turbos are a great bolt on turbo, they make it easy to get a good 280-300bhp for minimal cost/effort. The 28R is very similar but it does have the extra edge at the top end no doubt. However moving to the RSR you do retain 90% of low down driveabilty (or more in Stevos case) but gain a lot more midrange-top end i.e. 320-340bhp

The RS turbos are quite similar on the 0.64 housing (not the 0.86) giving the oportunity to flow a little more but generally you start getting closer to the limit of a standard engine so it is not often exploited.

Obviously moving onto the bigger GT variants, well that's just left for the nutters out there!! laugh
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 09:40

Quote:
Obviously moving onto the bigger GT variants, well that's just left for the nutters out there!! laugh

laugh laugh laugh

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 09:44

Originally Posted By: Nobby
Do we want a poll?

Off the top of my head there is:
TB2810 standard
TB28 Hybrid turbo
Superspool
Ultraspool
GtiR
GT28R
GT28RS
GT28RSR

Plus a multitude of bigger turbos GT30's/40/70 etc..

Isnt the TB28 Hybrid turbo the same as the GTiR?

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 10:00

Originally Posted By: Flea
I mapped Stevos car last week and coupled with the Accralite pistons (9.1:1 I believe)

9:1! smile Is that the first time you have mapped a car with those pistons Leighton??

I would probably agree the RSR is the best compromise and a sensible limit before going forged. But sensible is boring tongue

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 10:14

I mapped Stevos car last week and coupled with the Accralite pistons (9.1:1 I believe) it was one of the most driveable engines I have experienced. Off boost it was very responsive (closest to a 2.4) but the way the boost builds to 1.5bar was fantastic, really punchy pulling hard all the way.

And who was it that pushed for this CR in the pistons tongue
I had the RSR with these pistons ages ago and it was a really good setup.

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 11:04

I did the manifold like you said.
1-4 and 2-3 of course. its made TOMEI style ( and standard evo manifold also looks like same style )
proven to be best for spooling and power.
2-3 are very short pipes to other hole and
1-4 are longer pipes to other hole..
as you underastand, they only have to be same size/lenght for same hole.
I bought my turbo from US, 400usd delivered and it is new.
pictures you can find on the project topic, JTM 375-400hp
there is direct link to my pictures

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 12:03

Just got this back from CR turbos

"Hi there!
There are several options we could suggest for you.
The standard turbo with an uprated 360 thrust bearing will cope with up to 26 Psi booat and should make 240-250 Bhp depending on the engine set up. This could be called a stage 1 turbo.
The next step would be to use the 360 thrust but also enlarge the compressor wheel. The larger sized compressor used is the 60 trim wheel and this wheel is good for over 300 Bhp. However the turbine wheel and housing restrict the unit to around 270bhp. This could be called a stage 2.
The next step is to use a larger turbine wheel. This uses a T28 wheel instead of the standard T25. In conjunction with the previous modifications, this turbo is capable of a genuine 300Bhp. This would be a stage 3.
As you have said, the turbo will support the power increases, and is part of the overall work necessary to see good results.
There are GT ball bearing turbos that can be used, however, the turbine outlet on the standard turbo is specific to that unit, so the fitting of a ball bearing turbo would require some modification to either exhaust downpipe or outlet flange.
The GT2860 unit would be best suited for the Fiat Coupe, being responsive and be capable of around 350Bhp."

So there are 2 options for a hybrid?? What one would be the same spec as a GTiR??

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 12:17

call TD:

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop.htm

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 12:22

Thats another option, although Rog at Power Italia recommended these guys and the prices are good and they seem very helpful.

My question is which of their options would be the same as the GTiR spec which lots of people refer to on this forum?

I'm trying to gauge which will be ideal for me for road use i.e. quick spool up in real world driving conditions. The problem is its so easy to get seduced by big power figures!!!

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 12:28

Call TD and ask them the spec of the turbo.

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 17:22

Originally Posted By: TurboJ

And who was it that pushed for this CR in the pistons tongue
I had the RSR with these pistons ages ago and it was a really good setup.

That why i have chosen the same pistons with 9:1 CR love

With my "big" GT3071R-WG i think it will be surprising laugh

Freddan72 : my friend is actually running a "TD" turbo too! It's a TD06 20G shocked

Some lag but when boost comes it's a beast love

Actually he's doing some headwork... and when the car will be on the road again i think he will reach the 400HP barrier easily bow

"TD" are very effective turbos, good choice thumb
Posted By: Freddan72

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 18:34

I did the manifold like you said.
1-4 and 2-3 of course. its made TOMEI style ( and standard evo manifold also looks like same style )
proven to be best for spooling and power.
2-3 are very short pipes to other hole and
1-4 are longer pipes to other hole..
as you underastand, they only have to be same size/lenght for same hole.
I bought my turbo from US, 400usd delivered and it is new.
pictures you can find on the project topic, JTM 375-400hp
there is direct link to my pictures
JTM: Do you have any link to the place where you bought it?

Minipit: thanks smile

Re: Turbo Choice? - 30/03/2009 19:00

Originally Posted By: coopsnoop
Thats another option, although Rog at Power Italia recommended these guys and the prices are good and they seem very helpful.

My question is which of their options would be the same as the GTiR spec which lots of people refer to on this forum?

Pretty sure it's the "stage 2" in your post above ... i.e. larger compressor wheel but standard turbine wheel.

Re: Turbo Choice? - 31/03/2009 04:18

I bought it from private sale, so theres no direct link.
( pm sended to you.. )
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK