Fiat Coupe Club UK

GT28RS Isn't sounding healthy, thoughts?

Posted By: Anonymous

GT28RS Isn't sounding healthy, thoughts? - 14/10/2016 18:36

So 18 months ago i bought a GT28RS from a guy on the Coupe parts for sale page on FB, it was said to have done 8,000 miles.

Fast forward 18 months and i've just got round to fitting it as the standard turbo seals have gone.

Along with the turbo i also fitted a SIP, FMIC, 3' downpipe and changed a cracked manifold with a remap to come.

This afternoon the car woke up after 4 months of sleeping and sounded awesome, turned the engine off and heard this very loud metal on metal sound for around 10 seconds. It can only be the turbo as it's loudest by the air filter.

After a bit of research i see some people on pistonheads saying BB turbos often make this winding down sound and it's nothing to worry about.

I'm very paranoid as it's so loud but can i have some opinions?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucNt74hIT5k&feature=youtu.be

Better video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1THmsd1avsk&feature=youtu.be

Re: GT28RS Isn't sounding healthy, thoughts? - 14/10/2016 19:32

did you prime the turbo before starting the car and are you using a oil restrictor on the turbo oil feed ?

Posted By: Ferrarist

Re: GT28RS Isn't sounding healthy, thoughts? - 14/10/2016 19:34

Had same sound, same turbo.....it last 5-6 sec no matter warm or hot engine.....
Just watch the video.....your sound lasts a little bit longer......
Posted By: crgracing

Re: GT28RS Isn't sounding healthy, thoughts? - 14/10/2016 20:16

If its a blowing noise its normal. If you hear a very fine grinding could be the start of worn bearings.

Re: GT28RS Isn't sounding healthy, thoughts? - 14/10/2016 20:27

Originally Posted By: crgracing
If its a blowing noise its normal. If you hear a very fine grinding could be the start of worn bearings.

The best way to describe it is like putting some metal balls in a metal pot and spinning it so the balls run around the wall of the pot... if that makes sense. It's not a blowing noise.

Originally Posted By: nismo
did you prime the turbo before starting the car and are you using a oil restrictor on the turbo oil feed

Yes to both, i don't think it's something that's occurred while i ran it. Could be wrong though.
Posted By: szkom

Re: GT28RS Isn't sounding healthy, thoughts? - 14/10/2016 21:33

Sounds like dry bearings from the video. Have you confirmed that oil is present in the drain to the sump?

Re: GT28RS Isn't sounding healthy, thoughts? - 15/10/2016 16:57

Just taken the SIP off and had a good look.

Virtually zero shaft play, oil pressure is good, there is oil present in the return to sump, zero scratch marks, turbine spins well, the SIP was exaggerating the sound but it is still there just less prominent.

Will upload a good video of it later tonight.

Hopefully it's paranoia.

Re: GT28RS Isn't sounding healthy, thoughts? - 15/10/2016 21:50

Better video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1THmsd1avsk&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: Flea

Re: GT28RS Isn't sounding healthy, thoughts? - 16/10/2016 18:34

That's a familiar sound for a ball bearing turbo, certainly more important that you can hear it spin down after shutting the engine, if it doesn't then you have a problem.

Re: GT28RS Isn't sounding healthy, thoughts? - 17/10/2016 18:52

Originally Posted By: Flea
That's a familiar sound for a ball bearing turbo, certainly more important that you can hear it spin down after shutting the engine, if it doesn't then you have a problem.

I can breathe deeply. Thanks!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK