Fiat Coupe Club UK

Forging engine questions and your experiences

Posted By: Anonymous

Forging engine questions and your experiences - 13/01/2016 09:56

Hello, I have 2 engines on hand coupe 20vt and stilo 2.4.
Will build one forged engine , just unsure if I want to go 2.4.
I would like to hear your experience with different combinations of work done on 2.0 /2.4

Im after good power band and reliability.

So pros and cons of 2.4 conversion ?

For a 2.0 i was thinking to go for higher cr pistons ( 9:1 )
Ported & flowed head possibly 3 angle valve seats (need to do more research)
Fully balanced crank ( would like to know exact benefits for coupe)

Can you guys share your experiences on different builds/parts costs/ reliabity of your coupes ? Thanks
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Forging engine questions and your experiences - 13/01/2016 11:47

Personally with this I'd go 2.4 as torque gains are greater then a 2ltr, even at 9.0:1.

Re: Forging engine questions and your experiences - 13/01/2016 16:32

you mean 2.4 in stilo or coupe block?

Re: Forging engine questions and your experiences - 13/01/2016 16:33

Yes Stilo so you have the extra length on the stroke, Flea has a contact for rods etc so it would probably be an idea to message him if you go this route.

Re: Forging engine questions and your experiences - 13/01/2016 20:56

What are the choices of rods for 2.0(being nostalgic about original displacement) seen some people using steel rods ? Are they comming of some other car that use same size rods but stronger than coupe? Or they just standart coupe rods?
Posted By: Scuderia

Re: Forging engine questions and your experiences - 14/01/2016 08:33

Standard rods are forged steel, they are fairly strong. Aftermarket rods could be made of forged steel too but they are typically make of forged aluminium for less weight.

Re: Forging engine questions and your experiences - 14/01/2016 10:17

Cummins, Pauter, Arrow, Pec, these are all stronger then the standard rod due to the materials used and the treatment in manufacture.
Standard rods are strong but they do fail so I'd compliment any uprated build with a set for durability.
Posted By: Flea

Re: Forging engine questions and your experiences - 14/01/2016 11:01

The only way to do a 2.4 correctly is to use the 2.4 block. It is possible to use the 2.0 block, but too many compromises. Either way, it requires 2.4 crank and custom pistons/rods for both conversions.

Re: Forging engine questions and your experiences - 14/01/2016 23:55

Thanks for info, ill stick with 2ltr for the moment smile
Do you have any advices/tricks what to do or not do during build to increase bhp/ torq?
Also , Ive seen someone ported head and removed valve guides(bit that sticks out inside port) is that safe to do ? Any benefits ?

Thanks alot
Posted By: knight7660

Re: Forging engine questions and your experiences - 16/01/2016 00:20

Do a search in the tuning section mate there are a few threads about which direction to go that will suit your needs and bank balance wink
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK