Fiat Coupe Club UK

Which clutch for 500BHP coupe??

Posted By: n3v3ragain

Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 27/06/2015 20:12

Hi

Clutch is finished. Not even gripping when moving off in 1st on nominal boost.

Which clutch is best suited for a coupe in this state of tune. Looking for something that isnt going to rattle the teeth out of my head or need 2000rpm to pull off without stalling. Any suggestions? The current clutch was brutal unfortunately I don't know what make it was to avoid it.

Cheers guys

Posted By: Nigel

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 28/06/2015 08:44

Its not the power that overwhelms a clutch, its the torque

What torque are you running at the moment?

Without spending a LOT of money, you're not going to get a clutch as lights as standard, with no judder, AND the ability to hold a lot of torque - they're pretty much mutually exclusive

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 28/06/2015 09:54

Hi Nigel

Your familar with my car. Broomy sat at Pauls after a disaster remapping.

364ftlb torque at peak if I remember correctly.

Motor-mech did an ace job putting it back together properly the clutch is the last piece of the jigsaw. Knew it wouldn't last long.

Got a budget of around £800 possibly more.

Cheers
Posted By: Begbie

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 28/06/2015 10:01

Helix 6 paddle is what you're probably going to need. It's liveable and you need about 1500 - 1700 rpm to pull away with rattling the car to pieces
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 28/06/2015 10:55

They sell twinplate kits with integrated flywheel just north of 1000£
Suposed to be more drivable then a paddle clutch and can withstand as much torque you would like
Posted By: Jopa_zgd

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 28/06/2015 12:23

Helix twin plate. Plates with organic material, and springs.
You have to try to believe, just like original clutch! Even softer. smile

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 28/06/2015 16:10

Jopa any idea on price? Shouldn't be the defining factor but unfortunately with one issue and another around 15k has been sunk into this shed over 2 years. If I remember correctly I thought they were about 600 quid

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 29/06/2015 11:00

Originally Posted By: n3v3ragain
Hi Nigel

Your familar with my car. Broomy sat at Pauls

Ah - of course.... I hadn't put two and two together.....

A Helix Organic will cope (just) - I'm on a little bit more torque than you and I've run an Organic for years - however, its heavy and can be juddery - I'd REALLY like to know more about the Helix twin-plate setup

I emailed Helix with an enquiry a couple of weeks ago, but they haven't bothered to reply....
Posted By: Jopa_zgd

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 29/06/2015 11:48

Helix have awful support. That's true. I've emailed them several times, but no answer.. Only way to have good support from them is to speak with dealer or became a dealer. Too bad from company like Helix.. Tell me what I need and take my money! But no...

Neveragain- I've just read your post carefully, you speak about 800 quid. Twin plate with flywheel is about 1300 quid for Impreza. Sorry, missed your price talk smile
I've tried it on Impreza, so good that I want to modify my triple plate sintered Helix to a twin plate organic with springs. You really can't tell that this is a heavy duty clutch..
Posted By: H_R

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 29/06/2015 17:21

Be interested to know details and prices for the twin plate Helix clutch if you hear anything Nigel, or anybody else

I think this is the way i want to go, a bit overkill at the moment in my case, but there does not seem to be a lot of choice regarding a "light" clutch! just cant be doing with a heavy juddery clutch!

Cheers
Posted By: Freddan72

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 30/06/2015 15:36

See if Enrico at www.scara73.com can help you.

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 01/07/2015 16:50

Helix simply didn't bother to respond - I'm now in a dialogue with MardiGras Motorsport (Helix agents) to see if they can shed any light on it
Posted By: DLT

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 01/07/2015 20:05

I found my Tilton twin plate ok, but wouldn't recommend it if you do lots of stop start city traffic as it becomes less friendly if it gets hot.

It's heavy, but you don't need loads of revs and there isn't much vibration, plus it will never slip, ever. I've never driven anything with a paddle setup to offer a comparison though.

Contact competition supplies at Silverstone Circuit if you want to know more.

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 18/08/2015 16:16

Bought a clutch from Flea, wasn't expensive at all, in fact fitting and skimming flywheel cost almost twice what the clutch did.

Feels like standard, I can move car without any revs whatsoever.

So far very pleased !
Posted By: Flea

Re: Which clutch for 500BHP coupe?? - 18/08/2015 19:40

Originally Posted By: n3v3ragain
Bought a clutch from Flea, wasn't expensive at all, in fact fitting and skimming flywheel cost almost twice what the clutch did.

Feels like standard, I can move car without any revs whatsoever.

So far very pleased !

Yes the clutch doesn't have to nasty, and still good for 500bhp!
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK