Fiat Coupe Club UK

Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt????

Posted By: Anonymous

Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 14/02/2015 18:27

As you can probably tell I'm a bit new to Fiat tuning and I'm interested to hear if there are any cheap mods that free up a couple of horses or improve component longevity. There are a few good ones on various Saab models like heater plate removal, turbo pipe resonator removal, the "bolt mod", fog light air feed, rack clamp packing etc etc...

Let me know if there is anything worth while doing.

Cheers

Phil.
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 14/02/2015 18:34

A live remap with Flea will transform how the car performs, he's only in Bristol so only a quick squirt down the M5.

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 14/02/2015 18:48

Originally Posted By: Countrycruising
A live remap with Flea will transform how the car performs, he's only in Bristol so only a quick squirt down the M5.

Its 100% on the cards made. Just trying to tie it in with when I'm working down Bristol next. Squadra chip will be for sale soon to.

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 14/02/2015 20:50

sparco strut brace .

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 14/02/2015 21:25

Originally Posted By: nismo
sparco strut brace .

Is The 16vt OMP one that fits the 20vt (with a little modding) any good? It's only £75 quid.

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 14/02/2015 23:24

it will do the job .

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 15/02/2015 11:36

one has come up for sale -

http://www.fiatcoupeclub.org/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1525755#Post1525755
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 15/02/2015 16:05

Originally Posted By: fiatphil
sparco strut brace .

Is The 16vt OMP one that fits the 20vt (with a little modding) any good? It's only £75 quid.

It's better than the Sparco never mind do the job. The standard strut brace has twists and bends in it which defeats the object of the strut brace.

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 15/02/2015 18:58

K
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
sparco strut brace .

It's better than the Sparco never mind do the job. The standard strut brace has twists and bends in it which defeats the object of the strut brace.

Interesting.

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 15/02/2015 19:28

so it will do the job then laugh
Posted By: Trappy

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 16/02/2015 11:18

so it will do the job then laugh

thumb

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 16/02/2015 11:20

Another good mod that NO-ONE ever does first, is an uprated rear ARB. Might be a bit of a job at the moment given the shortage of them, but it transforms the feel of the car. On a standard Coupé, I think it would make a bigger difference than a strut brace...

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 16/02/2015 11:22

A cone filter will also release the vacuum cleaner in the glove box noise cool

I would LOVE to hear the air intake located there on my car now!! cloud9
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 16/02/2015 13:02

Originally Posted By: Trappy
Another good mod that NO-ONE ever does first, is an uprated rear ARB. Might be a bit of a job at the moment given the shortage of them, but it transforms the feel of the car. On a standard Coupé, I think it would make a bigger difference than a strut brace...

Agreed - from all of the handling mods I've had done (and there are lots) the rear ARB made the biggest single difference - made the car turn in much more positively, to the point that it felt almost RWD

However, I think it works best in combination with making the front end a bit tighter, via a strut brace and subframe brace, and possibly a bit of extra camber.

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 16/02/2015 14:21

Check that your throttle cable isn't stretched, if it is then adjusting it will be the best and cheapest "mod" you ever do.

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 16/02/2015 17:17

Thanks chaps. Keep em coming. Throttle cable will be checked tomorrow thumb
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 17/02/2015 09:16

Throttle cable will be checked tomorrow thumb

You can't check visually (at least not easily or accurately) - I can set it up using the code reader when you drop in one weekend

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 17/02/2015 09:23

Originally Posted By: Nigel
Throttle cable will be checked tomorrow thumb

You can't check visually (at least not easily or accurately) - I can set it up using the code reader when you drop in one weekend

Fantastic! Thanks Nigel thumb

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 24/02/2015 12:46

I would thoroughly recommend a Stage 1 Remap with Flea in Bristol.

He's just done mine and, along with adjusting the throttle cable which unknown to me had stretched over the years, the remap was like having a 100bhp boost in power!

The increase in torque was superb.

Totally different car to drive smile

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 24/02/2015 19:14

Originally Posted By: Jonscoupe
I would thoroughly recommend a Stage 1 Remap with Flea in Bristol.

He's just done mine and, along with adjusting the throttle cable which unknown to me had stretched over the years, the remap was like having a 100bhp boost in power!

The increase in torque was superb.

Totally different car to drive smile

That's it then. I'm sold. Calling Flea, you have text.......

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 02/03/2015 15:18

Email Leighton:

sales@sabre-tuning.co.uk

Leighton is always in demand so don't worry if he doesn't reply straight away smile

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 02/03/2015 20:08

Ive been in touch with Leighton on the off chance he could do a sunday but understandably he couldnt do it. Ill get round to it soon. Nigel adjusted the throttle cable and it has helped the motor no end. Boost is more stable and looks like its holding onto boost higher up the range. I need to listen again but im sure it growls a bit more too!!!
Posted By: patrickstar

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 05/03/2015 22:23

The first upgrade i did was the sparco strut brace , made a massive difference, then a 22mm white line Arb again a huge difference then I fitted the lower front brace, and for show the group buy interior rear brace.
Eibach springs again a good upgrade , tires are very important part of handling so I went for toyo T1 sport all round again a massive confidence booster.
Track rod ends and wishbones made the steering more solid .
G tec 1 chip plus staggered seal 360 bearing and then a de cat to finish it off.

Re: Any "must do" cheap mods for the 20vt???? - 06/03/2015 14:52

sorting out any usual failure points like the yellow connector under the dash is a good cheap mod as this kind of mod wil save you hastle if it was to fail... did mine with some solder, soldering iron and heatsink wrap... this way gets rid of any resistance accross any connector.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK