Fiat Coupe Club UK

Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box?

Posted By: technics

Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 12/03/2012 05:36

As above please, anybody have a rough idea?

Thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 12/03/2012 08:04

It all depends how you drive it I suppose. I know JBT will swear his magic diff works with the 6 speed, but what does he know. laugh

On serious note, I didn't want to take the chance which is why I gave up mine for an old 5 speed as you know.

You planning something I don't know about? Lol
Posted By: Nigel

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 12/03/2012 09:17

Depends how you treat it - I did a couple of hundred thousand miles on the six speed box in my Sprinty, including several full-throttle launches at Santa Pod.

However, the first time I launched at Santa Pod in the Moon Grey (same engine, same power but using the low-mileage box that came with the Moonie), I smashed the planet gears in the diff and punched them out of the gearbox casing.

So - I'd say in normal use, the six-speed box will handle well over 400bhp and 375 lb-ft, but for full-throttle launches on sticky surfaces, the limit is lower

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 12/03/2012 15:38

Biggenz, Still cant get this thought out of my head for getting to the 500 bhp, so have to do the sums properly before anything.
So is JBT still on a 6 speed box with this new engine and figures? If yes, whats this diff, available to me/how much???

Nigel, im within those sort of figures now more or less, im just thinking if I go for more power, i.e 500-520ish bhp and roughly 380-400lb-ft.

So would I need to spend more money on smashing a 6 speed box, or just getting hold of a 5 speeder straight away? Even then, you dont know what your going to get with buying a second hand box.....

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 12/03/2012 19:28

I've just bought Nismo's 6 speed box to put in my old Scottie; nothing wrong with the original 5 speed, but the linkage is shagged and the six speed in my VT6 is SO good that I couldn't resist it.

I'm only looking to take the Scottie to Stage 2/3, so I hope there will be no problems. JBT has done some serious work on his transmission - I've seen him praying to his gearbox in the last week whilst facing Mecca (the local bookies)........

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 12/03/2012 20:21

Tim hes is still there praying lol hasnt move bless him. hehe

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 12/03/2012 20:54

Originally Posted By: crazylegs
Tim hes is still there praying lol hasnt move bless him. hehe
bow bow bow biglaugh

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 12/03/2012 20:59

No wonder hes got a bad back all this praying, but now we will see the JBT magic of always how long for the 6speeder????????

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 12/03/2012 21:40

583bhp & 492lbs/ft so far on a 6 speed.

But the car feels very fragile,i'm waiting for something on the drive-train to snap imminently.

This current box i have really gone into depth with including replacing it for a custom diff,and replacing the bearings.
I also set the pre-load very tight,so we will see if it lasts.
Flea ran it at 1.8 bar several times on the road without issues.

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 16/03/2012 06:58

So Tim, would that 5 speed box be for sale? Mileage?

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 16/03/2012 07:52

Sure will be; the car has done 115K, and it is the original box as far as I can make out. Scottie is off to Shepshed tomorrow. JBT is busy on the run-up to Spa, but should be available in the next week or three.

Tim

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 16/03/2012 08:10

Maurizio, you need to make sure it's the old style 5 speed, as the newer style has the same weak design as your 6 speed.

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 17/03/2012 04:58

Ah, cheers Pero. Do you know what age/year I have to look at then?

Thanks Tim, but thats firstly, abit soon for me and secondly probably too many miles aswell, as if I do this its going to be for a 500bhp application...

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 17/03/2012 12:04

speak to barbz maurizio!
Posted By: Per

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 17/03/2012 15:12

I think 96-early 98..?
Posted By: JohnS

Re: Max bhp/torque on standard 6 speed box? - 22/03/2012 12:19

The more power you have the more you need to treat them as consumable. The best solution I guess is the early 5 speed with the strengthening plate, unless JBTs marvelous new box lasts.
Its not like they're expensive and if you do the maths you need quite a few cheap gearboxes for it to be worth spending a lot on it.

drive shafts are the next problem. I sheared one on launching at TOTB and sheared another one on road loading up full boost in 2nd gear
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK