Fiat Coupe Club UK

Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy.

Posted By: stan

Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 18:30

Okay so I managed to get a set of winter alloys to protect my 17" TSW's. I also wanted to test the differences in handling etc as the tyre sizes are wrong on the TSW's (thanks to the previous owner \:\( )

I've just spent ages refurbing the winter wheels using the guide in the FAQ section for paint colour reference, and I did think as I sprayed it on *Hmm, bit of a dark colour, maybe it's just the light in the garage*.

Errr, nope! Fitted this morning and now I'm looking for some views. Personally I think it's way too dark to be used with the bog standard wheels, makes them look tiny, or is it just because I'm used to nice shiny silver 17" wheels?

Doesn't matter too much, just frustrated with the length of time it's taken to get a decent finish and then feel disappointed when they get put on the car, although I guess that's always a risk you take with any styling job?

Anyway, here's the proof..........

Before

After

Roll on summer so I can whip them off again \:D
Posted By: whatmoretyres

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 18:35

Think that looks good personally.

Dare I say, I'd rather have odd colour standards than those quite chav 17s.

Sorry! \:D
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 18:37

Yep looks ok but could perhaps gain from some 'weed and feed' as looks a bit brown in patches.

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 18:40

Originally Posted By: mitch
Yep looks ok but could perhaps gain from some 'weed and feed' as looks a bit brown in patches.

pmsl \:D

I shall pass that onto the *gardener*............. Oi! Missus, Mitch said yer grass was awful!

\:o

Mitch, I'd leave the county now, while you still can \:D

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 18:41

Originally Posted By: whatmoretyres
......than those quite chav 17s.

Sorry! \:D

How very dare you! \:o

Do you know how much they cost the numpty owner prior to me? \:o

I bought the car for a lot less than those wheels cost him \:D

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 18:41

\:P No seriously the wheels look good to me, not seen that style done dark before.

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 18:54

look fine to me, although i am biased having dark wheels myself!!

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 18:58

I've been back out and agree they do look good, they are growing on me.

I've also just compared the old wheel with a standard wheel and got quite a shock! I'll post a picture in a wee while, but it's a cautionary tale of making sure you get the right tyre/wheel combination, there is nearly an inch of a difference in circumference between the two! \:o
Posted By: bockers

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 19:13

Just to balance the thread out. I hate them, they look awful. Roll on Global warming then we will soon have no winter and you will not have to adorn your Coupe with such tut \:D ;\)

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 19:22

Hmmm just done a comparison using an online tyre size calculator and it's scary news.......

Standard wheel and tyre:

Radius = 11.5"
Dia. = 23.1"
Circ. = 72.5

17" Wheel & Tyre:

Radius = 12.3
Dia. = 24.6"
Circ. = 77.3"

Speedo would read 6.7% slow so at 60mph on the speedo, the car would be travelling at 64mph.

Difference in physical size

and again!

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 19:23

Originally Posted By: bockers
Just to balance the thread out. I hate them, they look awful. Roll on Global warming then we will soon have no winter and you will not have to adorn your Coupe with such tut \:D ;\)

Just to balance it even further, it was your *Rover Stone Grey* recommendation I followed, so it's your fault! \:P

\:D
Posted By: came2dance

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 20:21

Stan you lazy oik - you took that last picture through the window \:D

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 20:29

One of each I think the dark ones look quite good \:\)

As forthe tyres. Well you see officer it's not my fault. I've got these wheels and the tyres are too big and...... \:D

You'll just have to put some lower profiles on the 17" Stan. Or make a mental allowance for the difference.

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 20:44

that's quite a size difference

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 21:16

Yes the size difference worries me a bit. It's almost like the previous owner glanced at the forum saw what everyone else was using but forgot to allow for the standard 15" wheels on the 20v na \:\(

Just done a quick test run and you can feel the difference tremendously: sharper steering, sharper brakes(!), and the speedo is now closer to correct: I'm being tailgated through the 40 again instead of the other way around

Car is now comfortable to drive, sounds quieter inside and doesn't feel the bumps the same yet has better feedback through the wheel.

Hmm, maybe I should have posted this in the tuning section? \:D

Thanks for the responses folks, I liked the photoshop of *one of each* it was interesting! \:o

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 21:19

Stan I prefer the standard wheels to be honest, not too sure about your colour choice, but I think you should bin the TSW's.

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 21:22

I agree, I think I might keep them as spares, they have 3 new-ish tyres and one brand spanking new one, so ideal for MOT time \:D

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 21:28

Not that they don't suit the car, it's just the whole TSW name....

VENOM'S

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 21:33

The standard wheels look great on their own, off the car \:P

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 21:35

\:P

back at ya! \:P

So, suggestions for a slightly lighter colour than Rover Stone Grey (it is too dark for the Speed Red imho).........

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 21:38

Ah you see not necessarily, Fran has painted his wheels a similar colour on his Speed red and it looks fantastic.

But it's the far superior 20VT wheels you see. ;\) \:P

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 13/10/2007 21:42

Ah, you see I did wonder if the fact there is sooo much more wheel is the problem, it makes them look *different*

I can't afford blower wheels \:\(

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 00:14

I think the problem is that the 16v/16vt/20v wheels are stating to look a little dated. \:\(

The coupe is still looking good though, you've done a great job. If they are only winter wheels then no problem, it will make you look forward to you getting the others back on even more.

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 00:33

looks to me maybe they would of looked better black. strange though as i dont like black wheels. maybe its the black sills etc.

as above though still a good job done.

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 01:59

Looks fine to me stan nowt wrong with that

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 02:33

I saw this wheel on a coupé in Italy Ever seen these before \:\?
Posted By: bockers

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 03:47

But they still look crap. Even crapper after a win over the froggies. Silver is the only answer \:D
Posted By: Baz76

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 05:47

Personally I think your standard wheels need to be darker still and add a set of LE centre caps like this Coop \:# .

Baz \:\)

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 13:10

agree with baz

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 13:21

Hmmm, thanks for the feedback folks, I really appreciate it. I'm mulling over what to do next.

I'm wondering if side skirts or painting the sill body-colour would lift the look a bit?

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 13:45

no, run standard in black for winter to save on the cleaning and grab a nice set of cheap silver ones from MrT for summer.

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 14:44

Originally Posted By: Baz76
Personally I think your standard wheels need to be darker still and add a set of LE centre caps like this Coop \:# .

Just been having another look at that one Baz and I can see the differnce: no body black at all, so the wheels do look good.

Must admit I'm not a fan of the black sills on the coupé, it reminds me too much of the old 70's trick of slabbering on underseal to hide rusty sills and filler \:\(

I have some speed red paint left over so I might just paint the sills......

Next question: leave the stonechip, textured paint in place or go smooth?

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 16:10

Originally Posted By: Baz76

that looks great, you should do that

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 17:41

Yep! Have decided to go the all red route and remove the 70's stylee black underseal sills.

Still wondering if I should leave the stonechip on for protection and just primer and paint that or save my pennies and buy some sideskirts?

Decisions, decisions.......

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 17:43

I would just paint, cos the car will look super crap with side skirts and no front or rear spoilers...

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 17:55

Ah, yes, fair point WMT, as usual \:\)

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 21:05

Took your advice and it looks great! Far better than it did and the colour of the wheels seems lighter now........

Sorted!

There's a front bumper waiting to be prepped and sprayed so that'll get the full colour coding and I'm looking for a rear bumper at the moment, so it'll get same again.

Thanks for the advice, it really made a difference.

Oh, by the way, the colour variations in the sill are caused by shadows from the tree, honest \:\)
Posted By: Theresa

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 21:53

Looks much better \:\)

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 14/10/2007 22:19

Hmm I got to say that u did a good job on the refurb. Hard work no doubt. But well worth it for the £200 saving u made, or therabouts. The wheels look great. But, they're not great looking wheels comparatively now are they. You're lucky to have some ahem 'winter wheels' :). To that end, it's job done. They look good enough to be pebble dashed by salt, grit, snow & ice or whatever else the winter might throw at us.

I've not had mine long & I was waiting until after winter to get the originals refurbed or maybe get some new alloys altogether. Looking at your 2 pics, same car, different wheels, shows just how much of a styling change it makes.

For what it's worth.. It looks great without skirts with the summer wheels. The winter wheels don't look so great. So, it's natural that u try to draw away from that fact by other means. It won't work. I have skirts on my red one & the originals still look pants compared to your shiny alloys. You know this. Put those lovely wheels back on & then u will be much happier :). It's a different car without them.

What's the worst that could happen? You'd have to get them refurbed :). Just put new tyres on mine & will definately be changing the wheels next time around. Thanks for posting up those 2 pics & helping me to make that decision. Cheers.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/Warp_01/1.jpg

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 15/10/2007 11:33

Sounds like you might have a buyer for the old ones already! \:D

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 19/10/2007 00:15

think leighping (dodgy sig pic aside, that deserves a thread of its own... \:D )has a point stan,

just think how nice your coupe will be with body coloured sills (and bumper bits) with your summer wheels on!

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 19/10/2007 00:21

2 buyers now....bidding war!

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 19/10/2007 00:22

Yeah, the sills are done and it does look (in my 'umble opinion) a hundred times better. Now to do the bumpers........need to get a rear bumper first!! \:\(

Re: Winter wheels, refurbed but not happy. - 21/10/2007 18:35

Quote:
think leighping (dodgy sig pic aside, that deserves a thread of its own... )has a point stan

Hahaa just like my mrs. She also hates it. Some people.. just have noooo class :). I'd take it off. But it looks the dogs.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK