Fiat Coupe Club UK

Which wheel spacers?

Posted By: Anonymous

Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 14:15

Picked up some second hand alloy wheels today and need some advice on fitting kits. The wheels I bought are 4x100 et 43 and bore size 73.1, I have ordered some spigot rings (73.1 - 58.1)but im unsure if I need whobbly bolts or tuner bolts and what spacers I need hubcentric or just normal spacers like the ones in Halfords to bring the et back into line.
Once fitted I will post a photo up of the coop with its new wheels and side skirts fitted.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 14:30

use hubcentric spacers and yes your need wobblie bolts as the wheels are 4x100 .

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 15:35

should I stick to 5mm spacers and are these any good 5mm
Posted By: mikndo69

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 16:37

They don't look like hubcentric spacers
Posted By: volumex

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 16:42

what difference do they make to handling

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 16:54

Isn't that ET enough? Are you sure you need spacers? Have you tried to fit them?

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 17:04

Originally Posted By: patch234
Isn't that ET enough? Are you sure you need spacers? Have you tried to fit them?

Not had chance to fit them as i dont have spigot rings or whobbly bolts yet, ive gone for some 215,35,18's. I was looking at spacers as i want a wider stance.
Im sat in a dark room trying to get rid of my headache after a 250mile round trip on the motorway - that exhaust you sold me bloody loud.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 18:02

Hahahaha, Strange that as on my car it was no where as loud as on yours? I wonder why it was so different from one car to another??

I would of thought that a ET of 43 would clear the brembo's and stick out more than stock wheels??

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 19:15

you need to do a test fit to see if you do need spacers but you will need wobblie bolts to fit them .

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 19:28

I wouldn't use any wobbly bolts with spacers combined hubcentric or not, unless your using metal spigot rings. Wobbly bolts and plastic spigot rings are not what I'd call safe lol.

I used H&R hub adapters on my Coupe they do 4x98 to 4x100 adapters but the smallest they go down to is 20mm, so maybe a little to big for yourself depends how much you want your wheels to fill your arch and how wide your wheels are I used 25mm ones on mine with zero issues.

Brad

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 19:52

Whats the problem with using plastic spigots with whobbly bolts?

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 19:54

none .

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 19:56

I run plastic spigots with wobblie bolts and have had no problems over 5 years .

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 19:56

Well you wouldn't drive around on plastic wheels would you?

With wobbly bolts it's fine if the wheel is centrally supported straight to the hub by the bore of the wheel or solid metal spigot rings.

But using plastic spigot rings there's a lot of forces going through them with bolts that can allow movement wouldn't be a problem on normal bolts.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 19:58

but that's what the plastic spigot rings do , once in place and bolted down there isn't going to be any movement with wobblie bolts as they work the same as standard bolts

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:00

That's fair enough Iain if you get away with and torque up your bolts regularly but I wouldn't personally recommend it to someone else lol

I would not trust them.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:00

Originally Posted By: bradthe16vt

Well you wouldn't drive around on plastic wheels would you?

rolleyes

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:02

a wheel company wouldn't sell plastic spigot rings if they wasn't safe

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:03

I'm sorry to sound cynical, but it's safety at the end of the day.

In my opinion I just like to rule things out metal spigot rings cost about twice the amount of plastic ones it's not a lot for peace of mind.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:07

I agree but there isn't anything wrong with plastic spigot rings . 99.9% of wheels fitted to modded/standard cars will be running plastic spigot rings supplied by a wheel company so they can fit the wheels unless they are the wheels design for the car/hub .

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:13

No I agree to, unless used with wobbly bolts wink

It's fine if you regularly give your car a once over and torque them up etc, or torque them up in sequence properly in the first place.

But you'll find most people don't and for that reason I wouldn't recommend them with wobbly bolts.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:16

mine get torque once a year at service/mot time and that's it , no problems after 5 years so I rest my case .

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:25

back on track what j are your wheels Sheep ?

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:27

That is an appalling attitude for a vehicle enthusiast to have Iain lol

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:31

who said I was a enthusiast , all I can say is tried and tested mate

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:33

Wheels are 18 x 7.5 wrapped in 215/35/18's

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:34

Oi keep your wig on I was only taking the Michael about you checking your bolts yearly lazy git laugh

That's fair enough mate everyone's entitled to their own opinion. tongue

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:36

7.5j will be wider that the standard fiat wheels 7j so will fill the arches a bit more , do a test fit when you have the spigot rings and see if they need spacers .

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 12/04/2014 20:37

everyone's entitled to their own opinion. tongue

very true .
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 13/04/2014 13:53

A spigot ring only locates the wheel on the hub and doesn't carry any load, the wheel bolts carry the load.
Do you seriously think aluminium spigot rings would be any better? The plastic probably deforms less under load than alloy.

Relax, fit plastic, be happy.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 13/04/2014 15:05

Yeah adding an extra layer of redundancy is a daft idea for the sake of a few quid.

I've seen an idiot crush a set of wrong sized plastic spigot rings just tightening up a set of wheels. And no a decent alloy will deform nothing like plastic.

I'm not disputing the fact they work fine, it's just if something was to go wrong like a loose bolt or two I'd rather have metal ones in there keeping it located centrally.

OTT maybe but that's my opinion, take it or leave it it's not a compulsory idea lol

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 13/04/2014 17:47

Redundancy in an area where it isn't required though, where does it end, do you have alloy valve stems and alloy valve caps 'just in case', I'd replace that plastic coolant expansion tank too, you never know when he plastic one may suddenly self destruct.
Before you know it you'd need a V8 up front to make your all alloy super high redundancy coupe actually move.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 13/04/2014 18:40

What are factory alloys made of ? Aluminium alloy

Do they come with spigot rings ? No they have a centre bore made to fit the hub.

What have I suggested some alloy spigot rings.

I didn't realise suggesting an alternative item on this forum was a petty crime haha absolute joke.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 14/04/2014 03:14

No one suggested a crime here Brad, I'm just trying to assure the OP that plastic spigot rings are perfectly safe.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 14/04/2014 07:33

Thanks for the replys guys, couldnt find any metal spigot rings so i ordered 4 plastic ones from a company called spigotrings.co.uk.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 15/04/2014 15:40

Cushty Sheep I'm sure you'll be fine, you got the side skirts on yet ?
Sorry for making a mess of your thread shocked

No worries Jimbo just judging by your response you'd have thought I'd roundhoused your mother or something lol. laugh how's work going out there you over at Minhad or Dubai international I ain't been out there in years ?

Only reason I've mentioned them despite the obvious knowledge of how we know they work, is a couple of dubbers I know had experienced some vibration issues using wobbly bolts, and slightly heavier duty metal rings were what eradicated the problem, but then you never know they might of had el cheapo plastic rings I'm sure there are many different ones doing the rounds. I just thought well you can't go wrong with them really on car that whizz past 150 mph it is then when vibrations may upset your day a little laugh

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 15/04/2014 19:50

Cushty Sheep I'm sure you'll be fine, you got the side skirts on yet ?
Sorry for making a mess of your thread

Yes mate skirts are on and look good, will post picture when wheels are on.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 15/04/2014 20:37

Nice one look forward to it smile

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 18/04/2014 11:04

Originally Posted By: sheep
Thanks for the replys guys, couldnt find any metal spigot rings so i ordered 4 plastic ones from a company called spigotrings.co.uk.

lol good call thumb

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 18/04/2014 22:33

So the wheels are rubbed down ready for painting, what colour should i paint them? Do i dare to be different and go bright yellow,green,orange or stick to plain silver. Anyone got a coop with outrageous coloured wheels.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 18/04/2014 23:44

HoveDan had some vibrant green ones IIRC confused
White have been popular, I think I've seen tango orange ones before.
You make your choice, you've got to live with them wink

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 19/04/2014 07:39

Plastidip blaze orange or pink and when you have had enough just peel the paint off .

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 19/04/2014 20:04

Just painted 1 of my wheels in silver and im not happy with the colour. Anyone got a photo of a scott green coop with graphite grey or white wheels fitted. Decided against silver and black.

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 19/04/2014 21:20

here you go , cabbie's coupe with my old le wheels on it -

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge

Re: Which wheel spacers? - 19/04/2014 21:29

and hovedan's coupe with white wheels -

click to enlarge
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK