Fiat Coupe Club UK

Coupe prices on the up!

Posted By: Robotrish

Coupe prices on the up! - 18/11/2014 21:01

Or is it just a chancer trying his luck

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221572651310
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 18/11/2014 21:51

They should be going up, there's less and less for sale. Alot of the bad ones seem to be dying so why not. 6k is alot for a vt, but hey! If he gets 50% of that he's done well!!

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 18/11/2014 22:14

Was looking on the bay counted 12 visible breakers without digging deep, they are dying fast confused

But twenty is no age

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 18/11/2014 23:05

Argh, who would buy a car for 6k with a write-up as basic as that? Especially with a car like a coupe.
Posted By: Edinburgh

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 18/11/2014 23:30

Originally Posted By: Jalo1548
Argh, who would buy a car for 6k with a write-up as basic as that? Especially with a car like a coupe.

It is a dealer rather than an individual who might go to a little more effort.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2014 00:16

There does seem to be another surge of Coupes being broken at the moment, or is it just my imagination confused
Posted By: Countrycruising

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2014 08:50

Originally Posted By: Robotrish
Was looking on the bay counted 12 visible breakers without digging deep

Two years ago around this time on Fleabay I counter 34 Coupés being either broken or sold as spares, repairs or project.
Resale prices were pretty poor across the board, LE and Plus were worth more but I was being given standard 20vt's with issues for the cost of the transport just to get them off the owners driveways.

A corner has now solidly been turned with the value of these cars, Duffy's set the change showing a restored Coupé could be sold for big money in comparison to the book values which were back then around £1500 for a Plus. Present numbers on the road will continue to drop each year, it's inevitable these cars will be sold for spares as it takes a passionate owner to keep piling funds into a car that might be suffering corrosion, poor paint or just not reliable because of age related issues.

They can cost a lot, but they do return something that I've never found in another car, and you can't put a price on that smile

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2014 14:21

6k is the price a coupe of 18 years in used condition goes for in my country. mint condition you can easily ask 10+ not a joke
Posted By: barnacle

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2014 14:50

Originally Posted By: Countrycruising
...it takes a passionate owner to keep piling funds into a car that might be suffering corrosion, poor paint or just not reliable because of age related issues.

<cough, cough>

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2014 14:58

Well you're passionate are you not laugh

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2014 16:16

Originally Posted By: barnacle
...it takes a passionate owner to keep piling funds into a car that might be suffering corrosion, poor paint or just not reliable because of age related issues.

<cough, cough>
Well you're passionate are you not laugh

Now ladies this is not the appropriate area for all this emotion laugh
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2014 17:34

Was looking on the bay counted 12 visible breakers without digging deep

Two years ago around this time on Fleabay I counter 34 Coupés being either broken or sold as spares, repairs or project.
Resale prices were pretty poor across the board, LE and Plus were worth more but I was being given standard 20vt's with issues for the cost of the transport just to get them off the owners driveways.

A corner has now solidly been turned with the value of these cars, Duffy's set the change showing a restored Coupé could be sold for big money in comparison to the book values which were back then around £1500 for a Plus. Present numbers on the road will continue to drop each year, it's inevitable these cars will be sold for spares as it takes a passionate owner to keep piling funds into a car that might be suffering corrosion, poor paint or just not reliable because of age related issues.

They can cost a lot, but they do return something that I've never found in another car, and you can't put a price on that smile

I was reasonably well off before I bought my coupe! rolleyes
Still we all have been warned.... shout laugh

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2014 17:44

Originally Posted By: Brilly1uk
I was reasonably well off before I bought my coupe and started lending it to my friend rolleyes

Corrected that for you Mark laugh
Posted By: Brilly1uk

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2014 17:47

Cheers Joe!

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2014 19:26

It's the age related issues comment that worries me...

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2014 20:06

Hello,

In Portugal the few we had are dead or dying fast.

The prices for a 16vt are from 2500euro (below average condition) and 8000euro (good condition).

I saved a 16vt from going to the junkyard on the last minute. 500euro but with engine with broken distribution and 4 years of strong portuguese sun on it. All rubbers damaged and wasted headlights and interiors. Instead of a donor car it was needing everything...

I'll post photos on another topic.

Regards
Antonio

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2014 21:46

Originally Posted By: Antmota
Hello,

In Portugal the few we had are dead or dying fast.

The prices for a 16vt are from 2500euro (below average condition) and 8000euro (good condition).

I saved a 16vt from going to the junkyard on the last minute. 500euro but with engine with broken distribution and 4 years of strong portuguese sun on it. All rubbers damaged and wasted headlights and interiors. Instead of a donor car it was needing everything...

I'll post photos on another topic.

Regards
Antonio

Does this mean that coupes in hotter climes are scrapped not because of the normal UK problem ie RUST but other issues!
Posted By: Per

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2014 23:29

Swedish market's as usual just not working at all with italian cars, but looking at mobile.de, a decent one cost a lot. At least 7-8000euro.
Hang on to yer lefthookers!

smile
Posted By: Spoonz

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 20/11/2014 18:38

i dont think id be willing to pay 6k for a standard coupe, definetly would a plus and LE, its also low miles, it may of not had the belts done for a while, theyd probably been on for a while, although this is guesswork as theres no write-up on it with all the important information.
A car with similar performance is the alfa gtv v6, they range from 3.5k-8k, and id still have the coupe. so i see no reason why the coupe cant go up in value, maybe not 6k for a standard VT, i think ill keep hold of the coupe for a while.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 20/11/2014 19:54

I think the car is well overpriced granted but I hear a few people talking about le or plus possibly being worth this kind of money.Is it just me thinks that thinks le and plus models are over rated compared to a standard coupe.Drive a standard coupe then drive a le I can tell you there is no difference I just dont see the big deal about le and plus models.If le models and plus models were produced in low numbers I could understand the premium payed on top of a standard coupe but there was a high amount of both models produced

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 20/11/2014 21:51

I paid £890 for my 1997 20v with 68000 miles on the clock back in September. Granted it needs a wee bit of work, but only a few hundred quids worth and it runs well (now the clutch slave is sorted).
I can't see that dealer getting the asking price.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 20/11/2014 23:53

Hello,

In Portugal rust is not a problem that I notice on the Coupes.
My car was 4 years on the street and no rust. But everything burned and discoloured.

The market in Portugal is much more expensive than in UK. The prices of new cars are a lot higher and then it reflects on the used ones... because we have an ilegal used car import tax that prevents us from buyng cars on other countries.

regards
Antonio

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 21/11/2014 11:02

Exemple

Fiat Coupe 2.0 20v Turbo Plus 99
http://www.olx.pt/467257859
Posted By: Richie007

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 21/11/2014 15:52

look at price for this one!! http://riodemouro.olx.pt/fiat-coupe-20v-2-0-turbo-plus-2000-pininfarina-iid-458311817

We ask far to less for our coupes

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 21/11/2014 16:39

Twenty-one thousand miles in fourteen years...

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 21/11/2014 21:21

O didn't want to use that example. That's the extreme example.

A colectors car that is not a classic yet... Humm

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 21/11/2014 21:28

Another example that will not sell

Fiat Coupe 2.0 16V Turbo 2.0 16V Turbo
http://www.standvirtual.com/P7946124

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 21/11/2014 21:34

And an average example, even needing correction of several non original parts:

Fiat Coupé 2.0 16vt
http://www.olx.pt/455258569

My 16vt project will cost a total of 3500euro. I think that's an acceptable value to save a nice car from the junkyard.
What do you think?

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 22/11/2014 00:51

Considering all you've done to it that sounds a pretty fair price smile

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 22/11/2014 07:02

I think mine has cost that much or more over the last couple of years, Ant. It's about to get the thick end of a thousand quid in engine and gearbox rebuild bits and necessary safety repairs - rust, brake pipes...

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 22/11/2014 15:52

It's a low price after restoration bucause, although the cars are more expensive in Portugal, the painting is a lot cheaper.
This paint job you see on my restoration post will cost me 700 euro.

Regards
António Mota

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 23/11/2014 20:25

Originally Posted By: Antmota
It's a low price after restoration bucause, although the cars are more expensive in Portugal, the painting is a lot cheaper.
This paint job you see on my restoration post will cost me 700 euro.

Regards
António Mota

Crikey
is it worth driving/ferrying down there for a holiday and getting a respray to boot

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 23/11/2014 20:30

frontwheel drive rides for under 2000 .

http://www.carthrottle.com/8-entertaining-frontwheel-drive-rides-for-under-2000/

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 23/11/2014 21:53

Good to see the Alfa 145 listed there as well, and surprised the Coupe is suggested to be less reliable.

I have had a 1.8TS and 2.0 Cloverleaf. The 1.8 is the better car IMHO, 140hp, same suspension and quick rack, cheaper, but a tiny bit lighter over the front wheels making for a little bit more nimbleness. The lack of balancers on the 1.8 also give a bit more feel to the car.

Cracking little hatches though, and dirt cheap.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 23/11/2014 23:11

Yes. Some Spanish friends paint their BMWs here in Portugal (also members of the BMW auto clube Portugal as myself).

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 24/11/2014 06:41

The coupe is no less reliable than any other car of its vintage. A badly maintained, cheap, modified coupe is working outside its design parameters and can be expected to break just as any other badly maintained, cheap, modified car of the same age.

What do people expect? They all use the same metals, technologies, and techniques; they all buy their cable and connectors, sensors and actuators from the same suppliers.
Posted By: Spoonz

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 24/11/2014 12:53

i just think the coupe is put down as unreliable is down to how they are treated back when they were first released and of course the boy racer days.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 05/12/2014 09:20

Im selling my gorgeous 1998 2.0 turbo,stacks of history,receipts,mots,immaculate black leather etc but i know for a fact that i wont get anything near the 1650 i want for it.In fact im feeling guilty asking that much!
I've just stuck it on Ebay and i can guarantee you i wont get that for it.Trying to sell motors in Scotland is ridiculous,everyone either a)Just dont call you or mess you about,or b)Someone down south comes up and snaps it up.
In fact i cant remember the last time i sold anything to anyone nearby.Just a sold my motorcycle,guy drove up from Wales cor it and paid exactly half of what they sell for down south!Im expecting the same again to be honest.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 05/12/2014 11:39

Here is an extreme example of Portugal : http://www.standvirtual.com/carros/anuncios/Fiat/Coupe/P8076787/
and... its their second one the first one reached 22,000€.

I didn't bought my coupe, just saved him from the scrap yard,and if we get real, the money i'm going to spend in restoring him wont pay any future sell.

like my wife says... Theres things,i can't understand... i love them... but can´t understand!
so this is the definition of a 20 years old coupe : No reason, just passion!!!

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 07/12/2014 12:54

Well. Portugal is the european country where the cars are more expensive. Both new and used cars. Because of the criminal car tax for new cars and the ilegal importing tax for cars coming from other european countries.

A practical exemple (with BMW's because it's my experience):
-Good Bmw 635csi from 1980 in Portugal: 20.000 euro (sold last week inside the bmw auto clube Portugal - from one member to another)
-good one in germany: 10.000 euro

To prevent a portuguese honest citizen from buying one for 10.000 euro + a big trip and lots of gas or pay a truck to take it to Portugal, the portuguese government introduces a tax to imported cars.
So, the bmw 635csi would cost 10.000 euro +transportation+40.000 euro tax.

And that's it... The war the Classic car clubs are fighting for years overdose here...
Then... The issue of the classic licence plate costing more than 500euro and receiving the bonus of an anual polution tax by the table of the new cars... €€€€ ... Brrr... It's unbelievable...

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 07/12/2014 13:00

For a fiat coupe 2.0 the import tax is 8000 euro considering 250g/m3 polution.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 07/12/2014 13:05

Incredible.
I thought that like Italy there is nothing.

When I bought my Coupé I paid 1000euro for taxes!
For only change of owner!
And then, every year, everyone who has got a car with 220cv have to pay 600euros for taxes. And insurance (400euro).

So the first year:
- 2000euro for the car
- 1000euro for changing owner
- _600euro for taxes.

I have no words.

Because of taxes the T20 market value is less then 3000euro.
But - and it shows how Italian medium cooper is not ok - some people for the LE are able to pay up to 10'000euro.
For a coop mechanically identical to mine but with a small plate. I think that my99 Plus I'm wine red or yellow are much rare than the LE, but no one know that.
Welcome to Banana Republic (real name of Italy).

laugh

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 07/12/2014 13:53

Well well well...

At least for the portuguese cars we have low tax values.

60e to change owner.

My 1996 16vt pais 142e per year of tax (up to 1995 it's 70e. About 50% reduction).

And the pre Classic insurance of 60e including on road assistance.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 07/12/2014 13:54

And please don't copy our country name! That will pay copyright.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 25/12/2014 13:51

My cars been sitting on Ebay for ages at £1450 and i only ever get the same question,what's the lowest you'd take mate,it's £1450!!How low am i meant to go??,prices are definetly 'not' on the way up,even for a good one like mine with service history,believe me!I've had offers of £1000 for it,what am i meant to replace it with for a grand?Its a joke.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 01/01/2015 11:23

General concensus of opinion seems to be at this moment in the market my car is worth,on average going by the offers,£800.Oh dear

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 01/01/2015 13:55

I think yours is a pretty fair price considering what some people seem to be trying to sell theirs for on ebay. Someone wants 5k for a blue one with some ridiculous looking wheels (imo)

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 01/01/2015 15:06

I paid £1000 for mine and had to travel all the way to London to get it, and cost me £200 in fuel and trailer rental. When I was buying there was about 7 for sale, with 2 at sub £600 and the rest at stupid £4-5000 which was out of my price bracket. My car had no MOT, or tax and needed the belt change, so I personally valued it at roughly £1500. I wish I knew about the forum now, because other than the absolutely mint condition team dynamic wheels and the brand new Yokohamas on it my car was average. For the same money I could have had an enthusiasts car with history on here, but you live and you learn.

I'm now on the journey to restore my coupe, but with the amazing breadth of knowledge on this forum it makes it so much easier.

Personally I would keep your coupe if you can, I think in 3 or 4 years 4k will be the minimum, and rust is slowly killing of the cars which are either being neglected or are sat SORN on someone's drive. In reality, they can only get rarer, and good ones will be worth a few quid.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 01/01/2015 15:55

I did the same, paid over a grand for mine in barely running condition, simply because at the time it was the only 16vt (that I could find) that was available, and for some reason they are stupidly cheap to insure compared to the 20vt. I'm hoping with it being rarer once it's in better shape it's value will climb, but it's not looking good at the moment.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 01/01/2015 16:43

My Scots Green cost 487 quid, taxed and MOTed but with a untraced engine ticking noise that turned out to be a loose manifold.

I was more or less quids in at that point, but definitely not now. It has had a front suspension rebuild, new turbo core, new tyres, zender skirts, decent re-paint, tidy up all round and some anti-corrosion work. I'll never get that money back on it, but its a keeper so its OK.

More money has already been spent for the next steps:
- refurb the standard wheels
- front under-tray
- 6 speed gearbox (plus the various refurbs and clutch which that will involve
- Belts
- 2.75inch exhaust

I do all the work myself, but even without the labour costs, its never going to be worth what is being spent, and what is being spent is no-where near what some do.
Posted By: AnnieMac

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 01/01/2015 19:57

I paid £900 for my vis on an eBay auction,in July 2013. It came with zero service history and so I had to get the cambelt etc done, and it needed quite a bit of other work too, which was all carried out at Solo Italia. Strictly speaking it was not really economic to have all the work done as it cost about double what the car is worth, but I now have "a tidy little vis" (according to Rick) which I am really happy with, as it is proving to be very reliable and a total joy in every way.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 01/05/2015 20:09

Another one,
And still on the up.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C607808
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 02/05/2015 03:55

Living next to the sea in salty morecambe, I'd be checking for rust!

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 02/05/2015 08:39

I didn't really buy mine for the investment potential, just the fact that they are good value for money and great fun to drive.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 02/05/2015 16:01

I on the other hand did buy mine as an investment, bought it for 260 quid, with no tax or test, looking like this:
click to enlarge click to enlarge
One coil spring, 1 break light bulb, a fresh mot, 3 years and 12 grand later, it now looks like this:
when I come to sell it, I'll make myself a nice little profit of about -8260 quid! laugh

on a more serious note, I think it's great to see prices on the up, coupes are actually becoming exclusive, rather than just feeling it, nice examples are becoming harder and harder to find, and are only going to get more scarce over the next few years. So damn right they should be going up in value.

And just for the record.. I'll get buried in mine laugh

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 02/05/2015 16:18

Originally Posted By: F1ANG
I on the other hand did buy mine as an investment, bought it for 260 quid, with no tax or test, looking like this:
One coil spring, 1 break light bulb, a fresh mot, 3 years and 12 grand later, it now looks like this:
when I come to sell it, I'll make myself a nice little profit of about -8260 quid! laugh

on a more serious note, I think it's great to see prices on the up, coupes are actually becoming exclusive, rather than just feeling it, nice examples are becoming harder and harder to find, and are only going to get more scarce over the next few years. So damn right they should be going up in value.

And just for the record.. I'll get buried in mine laugh

That's a change from anyone not wanting to be seen dead in one...

She looks mighty fine Ang., fantastic job cool

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 02/05/2015 16:21

Haha, I suppose it is! Thanks Simon smile
Posted By: JKD

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 02/05/2015 19:12

Does it really matter if Coop prices are going up?

They will NEVER reach a point where it's possible to make a profit!
Posted By: HiraethHuw

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 02/05/2015 19:42

Originally Posted By: JKD
Does it really matter if Coop prices are going up?

They will NEVER reach a point where it's possible to make a profit!

Facebook 'Like' thumb
Posted By: andyps

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 02/05/2015 20:01

Another one,
And still on the up.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C607808

I bought mine just over 11 years ago with slightly more miles than that one - 34007 on the clock when I took it for a test drive - and paid £5200 then so I guess this one shows they have increased in value, but it wouldn't have been a particularly good investment if storage costs were included!

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 03/05/2015 00:54

I don't think there are many coupe owners out there who bought heir coop to make a profit? crazy to break even would be wishful thinking at best laugh

To me coupe ownership has always been a Labour of love, I couldn't give a monkeys about profit, what mines worth on paper or to "the right buyer" it's worth every penny spent and more to me. I'm sure there's many other enthusiasts who feel the same way.

weather it matters to some people or not, going up in some value is better than the value not going up at all. For one thing it will make them more unaffordable for young idiots seeeking cheap thrills, who just buy, rag and wreck them, and it means the average Joe selling for whatever reason, might just get a bit more back for all the money he's put in.

I don't think "fiat coupe" and "profit" belong in the same sentence laugh , as much as I would like to one day see a cherished fiat coupe for sale with a delta integrale price tag. You never know...
Posted By: chrissy

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 03/05/2015 01:01

Well, I have a lovely yellow 20vt, on a P plate, 125k, all jobs done, FSH, Only stage 1 performance, I would not sell it for less than £2500, the good ones are clearly the survivors here!

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 03/05/2015 06:11

i have spent about 10-12K on my coupe with resoting it and some modifications... it is insured for 10K with the point of view that would like to have the best chance of getting her repaired if somthing bad was to happen... this way keeps the coupe alive for as long as possible.

not so much for making some sort of profit but to ensure that the coupe lives on... maybe when there is only a handful left and it becomes a collector peice then she will be worth a small fortune... hopefully it will get to this point, if it does in a good few years time, then i may consider doing runs as a wedding car driver or somthing.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 03/05/2015 09:11

Can't imagine a bride in a big dress fighting her way out of the back of a coupe!! At least the bride wouldn't be late and you'd know she was coming from a fair distance with a nice baritone warble!

Didn't darlo nick have his coupe at his wedding?

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 03/05/2015 09:38

Love to see one being used on a TV drama......

That would give the coupe some good exposure and might add some value!!!!

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 03/05/2015 16:46

I had my coupe at our wedding.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 03/05/2015 16:55

Originally Posted By: Big_Muzzie
Can't imagine a bride in a big dress fighting her way out of the back of a coupe!! At least the bride wouldn't be late and you'd know she was coming from a fair distance with a nice baritone warble!

Didn't darlo nick have his coupe at his wedding?

I'm sure Nigel did too!
At his sons
Posted By: Submariner

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 03/05/2015 19:13

As people have said for years on this site there are not many cars that offer so much for so little, fast, fun, stylish, practical, rare...la la. Way I see it I could have a new-ish modern shit box and pay £8K to £16K for it or buy new and 'hire' it off the dealer for circa £700pm for 3 years.....decision is simple, keep the Coupe...take it to a Specialist and keep on top of the maintenance and jobs as they appear; I have had no really big bills really bar belts and clutch...biggest was a bit of paint on peeling roof.

3k to 4k miles per annum, I'm hoping for another 11 years out of her...and 'meets' with the community on this site.
Posted By: bobbyboy

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 04/05/2015 09:45

The car in the advert that started this discussion off is now mine, so I can explain some background...

The garage it came from isn't really a car sales, more of a general car service/repair business, with some cheap runaround cars for sale, hence their poor advert I suspect.
This one was for sale on behalf of a loyal customer, and he told them how much he wanted for it.
I don't think he really wanted to sell it, so put an outlandish price on, even though the garage did suggest it was overpriced.
Even so, they did have a few viewers at 6k, which suggests that maybe some people seem to think that they are worth more than they are fetching at the moment.
Financial woes of the owner then dictated the lowering of the price, to a more acceptable level, well, to me anyway!

I still can't believe how cheap these great cars are, seems so out of step with other more supposed 'desirable' cars from the same era.
I think its time will come, it just seems to be the forgotten gem at the moment.

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 04/05/2015 10:20

getting some good press for the coupe would do lots for the value of them as people would then like to own one, hence push up the value...

press like news paper write ups, tv show apperances and car shows.

personally i still would not part with mine unless it was some sort of dire staights last resort, thus forced to.
Posted By: ePiFaNT

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 19/11/2015 08:53

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/detail...p;pageNumber=1# crazy

Re: Coupe prices on the up! - 02/12/2015 19:31

Ive just had mine classed as a cat c after she suffered minor damage to the rear quarter section I received £1,200 AND the car back.
© 2024 Fiat Coupe Club UK